Wednesday 26 April 2023

Interview: MEGAN MCKENNA (Part 1)

 

 

I love seeing a hometown artist make it big, and someone who's making waves in the UK country scene and beyond it Essex lass Megan McKenna! We caught up on her unusual route into country music, the similarities between country and reality TV, what she'd play at The Bluebird Cafe and more - enjoy!

 

Ciara’s Country (CC): The country music community is a small world, made even smaller when you meet an artist who grew up in the same county as you! I’m joined today by the lovely Megan McKenna. Megan, thank you so much for joining me.

 

Megan McKenna (MM): Thank you for having me.

 

CC: You've had quite an unusual route into country music - getting your start on TV, a stint on The X Factor. Can you give us an overview of how you ended up here?

 

MM: I've always loved country music. I went into TV but it wasn't really what I wanted to do, I just felt like I had opportunities and I took them. My aim was always to be an actress and singer, so every show I did, I was making sure that I was singing on it. Then I decided to step away from the TV world and put everything into my writing.

 

CC: What was the first moment you knew, ‘I love country music’?

 

MM: I was 10. I was always singing and one day I went to an audition for a musical and there was an American panel there. I sang an Eva Cassidy song and they said to me, ‘You sound too country.’ I was really young, and I was like, ‘country?’ 'cause it wasn't very big in the UK at that point. I went and told my mom and she said, ‘oh my god, I love country music! You know what, your voice is country.’

 

I saw how country suited me and started singing country songs, knowing ‘this is where I feel at home with my voice’. Ever since that, I've been singing country music and I love it. I love the storytelling behind it. I feel like with what I've been through, my TV world and everything. there are so many things that people don't know so this is my chance to be able to just tell everybody through my songs.

 

CC: Who were the artists that you grew up on?

 

MM: So many. I love Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, and the story of how she came from American Idol. I think it's amazing. Nowadays, I love Kacey Musgraves, Kelsea Ballerini, Kane Brown. I love everyone! I think everyone's amazing.

 

CC: I think we must have the same taste in music! You mentioned earlier that one of the things that really pulls people into country is the storytelling. Where do you find the stories for your own songs?

 

MM: My own life, literally. I don't even know sometimes. I feel like I've been through so many ups and downs. Breakups? The whole of the UK has definitely seen me crying on TV over breakups. When I go into a writing session, I'm not trying to force something, I just need to go in and write about what I'm feeling in that moment, even if it's something I really don't want to touch on. To get the best song, you have to be really open at the sessions. It’s really emotional. It's like therapy, but you get the best songs from that. I love performing the emotional ones.

 

I almost think it makes sense to go from reality TV into country music, but this is probably even more real. It's been a crazy ride but it's made me who I am today. I think people can be quite intrigued, thinking ‘she's doing country music?’ I just want to sing, and for people to come and see me live, actually see me and hear my story.

 

CC: I know we're both huge fans of the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, and one of the things they do there is have songwriters talk about their songs and play them. What is one song that you would play and talk about at the Bluebird Cafe? 

 

MM: That’s so hard! There are so many I would love to sing. I've actually performed there a few times – it’s the most crazy experience because they this policy that everyone has to be quiet, and if anyone speaks they get shushed! That's how it should be.

 

I would say if I could go there and sing something, I would probably sing Stronger because it's about my granddad, and if I'm ever feeling down I can cheer myself up with the words of that song in my head. Life can be hard, especially in the industry, being judged and all that. It’s hard for me to be taken seriously in music because of the TV stuff. I think people think it's easy for me, but it's actually not. But I'm all here for it, and I'm working for it! I'm here and I'm going to prove that to everyone. That's what my song Stronger was about - don't give up.

 

CC: I’m sure every fan approaches new artists with preconceived notions based on their background, their looks, or anything they see or hear about them, but it’s the music that matter. The music speaks for itself, and I think your music does that.

 

MM: Thank you so much. That really means a lot. There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes - I've been releasing a song every single week for six months and now the aim is to get the album together. It's been a lot of work, but it's all worth it because I'm here at the biggest country festival in Europe now! This is insane. I couldn't be happier.

 

Stay tuned for Part 2 of my interview with Megan, coming very soon! Keep your eyes peeled on @CiarasCountry to be the first to know when it's posted. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment