Sunday 16 April 2023

Interview: AMANDA SHIRES (Part 2)



 

Amanda Shires has done it all, and yet she still has so much more to go. I really enjoyed chatting with her (check out Part 1 of our conversation here) and read on for more info about her latest album, career highlights, playing the fiddle in space, and more - enjoy!

 

Ciara's Country (CC): You released latest album Take It Like A Man last year - what was the song off this album that meant the most to you?

 

Amanda Shires (AS): The title track, Take It Like A Man. I feel like I’m a person who has a deep passion for words, down to the letter, and I think about them a lot. I think until I write another one like that, that it's the best one that I've written. I feel like I captured everything I set out to capture in that song, and that's not something I can say for all my songs. I love birds too, and I got to put a lot of birds in that song as well.

 

CC: Did you know the moment that you wrote it that this was ‘the one’?

 

AS: I sometimes get that feeling of ‘I'm really proud of this’, but in that part of the record making process, I was still really hard on myself. Like, I wasn't allowing myself to feel like any of the things I did were good. But in the recording process, when I started feeling better about actually doing that part of the work, it helped me feel positive about the whole thing. It gave me clarity to decide that it was okay to ‘build’ songs, you know? I was like, ‘well, there's one that's not a piece of shit’. I feel like I have more agency or more confidence now. Sometimes you just need a person in your corner that believes in you.

 

CC: For someone who's been doing music for as long as you have, I can imagine that you do get to a point when you're not sure if you want to keep going. How did you fix that?

 

AS: It was my friend Laurence. They modelled a sense of self-acceptance that was inspiring. But also, I started when I was 15. I'm 41 now, it wasn't like this even 10 or 15 years ago. Almost all the journalists I talked to were men, everyone in the studios, everyone in the band. That's all good and everything, but it's hard because you're not really allowed to be emotional because that's a sign of weakness.

 

Or you're based more on your experience rather than your potential, because men are oftentimes valued based on what people see as their potential whilst women are oftentimes valued on experience. It's like always having to prove yourself. So it’s helped seeing the progression of my life and the music business as a whole. I'm glad to see more of us out there doing it and it makes me feel like I have a better chance in the world of music.

 

CC: I really think that it means a lot when young performers and songwriters see women like yourself moving up through the ranks.

 

AS: Or like you as a female journalist! I'm glad that both of us are here.

 

CC: Me too! So, you started at 15, you’re now 41 – it really is no exaggeration to say that you’ve done everything. You’re a critically acclaimed performer in your own right, you perform with your husband Jason Isbell, you're a founder of the incredible super group The Highwomen. Are you even able to choose a highlight or two from your illustrious career?

 

AS: I always compare everything I do to my first experience in music. I was hired with the Texas Playboys, a very legendary and historic band in country music. That's always going to be my ultimate highlight, because I feel like that's where I learned how to be a musician. Past that, all these other things are fantastic and wonderful.

 

CC: And still so much to go! Is there anything still left on your bucket list?

 

AS: I’ve got a big bucket list! I’d like to talk to Richard Branson about playing on his spaceship. I'd like to play the fiddle in his spaceship up there - that's a bucket list thing. It’s quite a high goal to reach but I don't think it’s too lofty. So playing the fiddle in outer space is up there. There's a lot of bucket list things - making more music, writing more songs, playing more venues, eating more cheese curds. Man, I got lunch on the brain!

 

CC: I love that. Going to space is actually on my bucket list too!

 

AS: Really? We should go together.

 

CC: I’ll be there! So you know Richard Branson, and I’m sure you must know pretty much everyone in country music too – are there any underrated artists out there who you think everyone should be listening to?

 

AS: I think a person who doesn't get heard enough is my friend Cory Brandon. He's a wonderful songwriter. Then there's a wonderful new up-and-comer named S. G. Goodman. I like her songwriting a lot. And Madeline Edwards, but we know who she is. She's wonderful.

 

CC: Amazing, thank you. Finally Amanda, what is one question you've never been asked in an interview, but would love to be?

 

AS: Do you collect things?

 

CC: I need to know the answer!

 

AS: I collect a wall pockets. They were made in the 40s and 50s for people to put flowers in inside. I have some that are pretty, some that are gremlins. I’ll send you a photo!

 

CC: What a cool tidbit! Thank you so much for your time today Amanda.

 

AS: Thanks for having me.

 

One of the most unique interviews I've ever had - what a joy! I hope you enjoyed my chat with Amanda as much as I did. More interviews still to come - stay tuned on @CiarasCountry. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment