Wednesday 10 April 2024

Interview: SOPHIA SCOTT, Country 2 Country (Part 2)

 

Life is good when you get to interview Sophia Scott! Check out Part 1 of my interview with the rising country star here, and read on for our discussion about life goals, new album 'Barstool Confessions', and what her and Willie Nelson have in common...


Ciara's Country (CC): I discovered you years ago on Spotify playlists, and it's nice to see your name appearing on there so often. What have been some of the biggest highlights of your career so far?

 

Sophia Scott (SS): Well, I would say this last year were two major ones, which was releasing my first ever album Barstool Confessions, and then the day after I did my debut with the Grand Ole Opry, which was quite exciting. Another highlight, of course, opening for Kelsea Ballerini and the Jonas Brothers.

 

CC: And now you’re playing C2C!

 

SS: I know, I'm so excited. I've always wanted to play here too.

 

CC: Dream come true. What else is on the bucket list?

 

SS: Red Rocks is number one on my list. I mean, obviously being from Colorado, but that venue is iconic in its own right. Being from there, having grown up going to shows there, being an outdoorsy girl.

 

CC: Oh my god, that would be an amazing hometown show, I'll make sure to get a ticket. Of course, we have to talk about Barstool Confessions. Talk me through the album title.

 

SS: The story behind that is that I used to be a bartender, and I've obviously spent a lot of time at the bar. I've been on both sides of it. I think that there's just something really beautiful and vulnerable about conversations that bartenders have or just conversations that happen at bars. People get really honest, especially the more drinks they have. I wanted the album to feel like a stranger wearing their heart on their sleeve and just telling you their life story. That's just country music to me. I went through a wild breakup this past year, and the best thing that I could do was to write about it. And then I was like, I guess I'm going to share this with the world and introduce them to me for anyone that didn't really know who I was. Being honest and vulnerable was tough but also really cathartic and a form of therapy for me.

 

CC: Do you have any songs that you wrote that were cathartic but maybe difficult to write because they bring up those memories again?

 

SS: Yeah Lipstick On You was hard for me to play at one point. Now I feel like my ex and I are actually on pretty good terms now and now I'm starting to sing it from a different point of view, it almost feels like it’s towards a different person. It's very interesting how songs change meaning, even songs that I wrote myself. They shake me. For example, I wrote Mullet Over almost eight years ago. That was the first time I wrote a song, and that was the one that got me to move to Nashville and kick-started my career. It's interesting how as life changes, those songs evolve in meaning.

 

CC: What I love about Barstool Confessions is that it shows your versatility as an artist. It's not all just one type of song, but it really takes you on a journey through so many different themes. Do you have a particular favourite?

 

SS: It changes every day. Initially, it was Watering Roses. Now, I really enjoy playing Mullet Over live. I'm sadly not playing it while I'm here because it doesn't really work as an acoustic song. But with a full band, it rips and it's fun on stage.

 

CC: You're gonna have so many people coming back to see that full band. And that's one of my favorite things about C2C - getting to see the artists that you've waited so long to see, but also discovering new ones as well. Are there any artists out there in the country music scene who you think people ought to be listening to?

 

SS: My girl, Alana Springsteen, is blowing up right now. I just went on tour with her in December. If you don't know about her, you should check her out (or read my interview with her here!). She's as lovely as a human being as she is as an artist. And I just think she's so talented, so hard-working. She's very inspiring.

 

CC: I would dig a joint tour between you two.

 

SS: It was really fun. So hopefully we can do another one in the future!

 

CC: Final question for you: what is one question you've never been asked in an interview but would love to be asked?

 

SS: Who's your style icon? Nobody ever asks me that.

 

CC: That's because we assume you are your own style icon! You’re my style icon right now.

 

SS: Haha, thank you! I actually have a couple. One is Cher, one is Posh Spice, and then of course Dolly.

 

CC: They need more turquoise though.

 

SS:  Oh, I know. I'm trying to think of who my hippie icon is. Low key Willie Nelson. He rocks the turquoise, a vintage tee and jeans. It's like my other vibe when this isn’t happening. That's the vibe.

 

CC: Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me. It's been such a pleasure.

 

SS: That was fun!


A big thank you to Sophia for taking the time to chat with me! Looking for more country-related content and interviews! There are plenty more to come - stay tuned :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment