Saturday 6 April 2024

Interview: SOPHIA SCOTT, Country 2 Country (Part 1)


I love chatting to my favourite artists at places like C2C (did you see my interview with Carter Faith already?) and one artist I was very excited to talk with is Sophia Scott. Rising through the country ranks at an astronomical rate, she's definitely one to watch! Read on for our chat about her stay in the UK, what it means to be 'Colorado country', and how she ended up in Nashville. 


Ciara’s Country (CC): Get ready for an exciting interview, because today I’m joined by an artist making her mark on country music all across the globe. Sophia Scott has been regularly featured on Spotify's New Music playlists, has opened for the likes of the Jonas Brothers and Kelsea Ballerini, and last year released her debut album Barstool Confessions. Welcome, Sophia!

 

Sophia Scott (SS): Thank you so much. I'm so happy to be here.

 

CC: You’re joining me at C2C Country 2 Country in London - how are you feeling?

 

SS: Oh, my gosh, just energized. Honestly, I was pretty jet-lagged this morning. I didn't sleep much last night, but I just played a show and it woke me up! I'm just so happy to be here. I missed London. I love London so much.

 

CC: Maybe that's a new way to get over jet lag - jump straight into a show.

 

SS: Yeah, come on. That's the cure.

 

CC: You've already got your first taste of C2C, how does it compare to festivals back home?

 

SS: It's very unique. I honestly didn't know what to expect, I had only ever just heard about it and seen some videos, but then I walked in and the stage was so cool. The fans were incredibly engaged, there were some people singing along which made me very happy! I feel like they're very loyal. diehard fans. It was touching!

 

CC: I'd say after your performances this weekend that the fans will just grow in number! It’s your first time playing C2C but not your first time in the UK – are you happy to be back?

 

SS: I love it so much. I haven't had any Indian food yet but I'm going to tonight. And I love tea. And the shopping! I already went shopping so that was the first thing.

 

CC: Buy anything nice?

 

SS: Oh my god. Yes. A coat - it's like a cow hide fur coat, and a pair of cowboy boots.

 

CC: I would have thought they'd be easier to get back home!

 

SS: Well, it's something about here though, all the vintage stuff here. I couldn't move here because I would spend all my money on clothing.

 

CC: No, don't say that! We want you.

 

SS: For real! I've honestly thought about it a lot. Two of my friends are moving here, and they've been trying to convince me.

 

CC: Indeed, you’re a long way from your homestate of Colorado. In comparison to the likes of Tennessee and Texas, I’d say Colorado is not necessarily known necessarily as being the heartland of country music. Growing up there, what was it that appealed to you about country?

 

SS: I think what's interesting about Colorado is it's not Southern country music, but it's still Western culture. There's a lot of cowboys and a lot of horses. I grew up listening to country music, and I think what drew me to country music is the storytelling and the lyricism of it. While I also listened to R&B and blues and soul music, I made my own sort of hybrid of those sounds. I've always been a storyteller in songwriting and in life, so yeah, I think there was no real other genre for me. It was an easy path.

 

CC: And the right one it would seem! Do you think Colorado mountain country has made your music different from Southern country as well?

 

SS: Yeah, I say to people often in Nashville that being from Colorado is my whole personality. Everything I do is Colorado themed, basically. My style is very Colorado, I'm a big skier, I love nature. I love the outdoors. This country music, it's just my own version of it, I guess.

 

CC: Your style is awesome! I'm obsessed with your rings.

 

SS: Thank you. I have a ring problem. I bought a bag of them with me and I just dumped it out on the table and everyone was like, ‘oh my God, how many rings? I don't think I can put on anymore (laughs) But I do have more. Lots of turquoise.  My mom always wore turquoise and turquoise is also very like New Mexico, Colorado. West really. I love it.

 

CC: I feel like we're going to convert more people to go to Colorado. And indeed, Nashville wasn't the first stop on your journey into the music industry – you started out in California. Why there?

 

SS: I went to college in San Diego for a bit and I have a lot of family out there in Coronado, California and in San Diego. My roommate in college was actually working for Universal Music Group and he started a new YouTube channel. He was my biggest fan from day one and told me you really need to move to LA with me and try this music thing. So that was an easy next step. I think at that point, I was trying to  figure out who I was as an artist and musically. Then as I started formulating my sound and figuring out who I was, I started taking trips to Nashville. Every time I would go, I was like something about this just feels like it's calling my name. It just feels right. And ultimately, I was just like, why am I not there? I feel like I'm getting more done there. It's hard to be a country artist in LA, it's just not the same, you know? So then ultimately, I moved there and now I’ve been there five years!


We're not done yet! Sophia and I had so much more to talk about - check back in soon for Part 2 of our interview. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment