Monday 8 March 2021

TRAVEL: Australia Bucket List (QLD, SA, NSW, NT)

It is no secret at all that I adore Australia. So far I’ve had the opportunity to:

*Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef*

*Experience real Australia on the Gold Coast*

*Watch beautiful sunsets in Darwin*

*Swim with whales on the Sunshine Coast*

*Chill out in Byron Bay*

But there’s still so much to see! So I thought that whilst I plan my future Aussie adventures, I’d take you along with me! Here are just a few places that I can’t wait to visit once I make my way back Down Under – enjoy!


Heron Island, QLD

I’ll be honest, I didn’t even know this place existed until I saw that some of my Facebook friends was there. Heron Island seems to be a pretty well-kept secret, and I was even wondering whether to post it on my blog, but you can keep a secret too, right? Located just off the coast of Queensland in the southern Great Barrier Reef, this tiny island is a haven of beauty and wildlife. I love diving, so seeing what life lurks in and around its natural coral cay – including nesting turtles, migrating whales, and an abundance of bird life – is incredibly appealing to me. Plus, I love that it’s a bit off the beaten track – the only ways to get there are via boat, or the more preferable option of helicopter – think I’ll have to get a few more blog sponsors before I’ll be able to afford the latter! I’m looking forward to long days of exploring, swimming and diving, topped off with a couple of cold bevvies on the beach while watching the sun go down – heaven.


Kangaroo Island, SA

Heading to South Australia now for one of the most diverse parts of Australia, and that’s saying something. Overflowing with dolphins, sea lions, koalas, and of course, kangaroos, Kangaroo Island is a must for any nature-lover like myself. Australia never ceases to amaze me with its animals, and like beautiful Philip Island which I visited when I was last in Aus, I hear you might also even see some penguins around here too. It’s not just wildlife that make KI worth a visit, but also the stunning rock formations which line the various hiking trails Australia’s third largest island has to offer. If you read my Melbourne blog, you’ll also know that I’m a bit of a foodie too, and I’ve heard wonderful things about Kangaroo Island’s selection of food and wine – a delicious meal overlooking the ocean whilst kangaroo hop by? Yes please!


Flinders Range, SA

This places seems to me like Australia’s answer to the Grand Canyon. With its rugged peaks and rocky gorges, which look even better when bathed in the soft glow of the Aussie sun, Flinders is the land that time forgot, and I think it would be the perfect place to go to forget about any and all worries – something I think we probably all need after this year, right? I’m a big fan of stargazing, and the Flinders remote location seems like the ideal place to lay out under the night sky and take a moment to appreciate this beautiful country (well, when its various animals aren’t trying to kill you…) I’ve also heard it’s a great place to get the true outback experience – eating authentic Aussie food at an outback pub with live music to keep you company. Nice.


Lord Howe Island, NSW

You’d be forgiven for thinking you’d taken a wrong turn and ended up in the South Pacific when arriving on Lord Howe island with its Tahitian blue waters and tropical aura. The island’s motto is ‘just paradise’ and if the photos and videos I’ve seen are anything to go by, I’d say that’s not far wrong. The Geographer in me just wants to learn more about the formation of this irregularly shaped volcanic island, and the adventurer in me is dying to get out and explore the coral reefs, pristine beaches, and hiking locations. As well as diving with the fish, I’ve read that you can also hand feed them too – how cool! However, with only 400 visitors allowed on the island at one time, I’d better get booking my trip now…


Uluru, NT

A glaring gap on my Australian journeys is perhaps one of the most important places is Australia – Uluru, formerly known as Ayers Rock. My reasons for wanting to visit here are two-fold: primarily, Uluru seems to me to be the heart of Australian history and culture, and is steeped in Aboriginal tradition with loads of opportunities to learn more about the past, present, and future of this iconic place. Secondly, due to its location in pretty-much the centre of the continent, it definitely fits my bill of somewhere to watch the sunrise, sunset, and stars. I don’t think I can say I’ve truly ‘done’ Australia until I’ve visited here! 

And that's not even half of the places I have on my Australia bucket list! What places have or would you like to visit in Australia (or indeed the world!)? Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter @CiarasCountry. Stay tuned for even more fantastic Aussie destinations coming soon to this blog... thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment