Sunday 24 May 2020

Travel: PHILLIP ISLAND (AND PENGUINS!), AUSTRALIA


I had a late pick-up for my Phillip Island tour so had a leisurely morning in Melbourne (read about my time in that beautiful city here), before waiting outside my hostel to be collected for the days adventures. With longer drives like this one, tour companies often put a midway point into the journeys, and ours was Maru Wildlife Park. We had a brief talk on koalas from one of the keepers and were then given free rein to wander around until we were due back on the bus. 

Having been in Australia for a year, there were few Aussie animals that I hadn't seen many a time, but this was my first time seeing albino kangaroos, and I also enjoyed getting up close with gliders and Tasmanian Devils. 

We continued on to Phillip Island, our main destination of the day. Our first stop was Woolamai Beach, a glorious and practically deserted stretch of beach which was very pleasant to walk along, albeit rather windy.

Our next stop was the GP Racetrack where we spent a few moments watching bikes tear around the course. Apparently anyone can use the course, but I have to say, at the speeds some of those bikes were going, you could definitely count me out!

We next went to a Nature Reserve where our guide took us through a walk through the bush, stopping to sample some plants favoured by the island's unique residents that we would be meeting later that evening. The walk culminated at a huge lake brimming with bird life, including black swans which I was amazed to find out actually existed outside of the Natalie Portman film. Apparently, swans in the Northern Hemisphere are white, and those in the Southern Hemisphere black. The more you know! 

On we went to the Nobbies, the furthest point of the island. We had time here to walk along the boardwalk and admire the beautiful scenery as well as the animals who make it their own. I was thrilled to spot a wombat and an echidna, both the first of their kinds that I'd seen in the wild. 

By now, it was basically the end of the day. The sun was setting, which meant it was time for the main attraction - the Penguin Parade! Indeed, the main reason people visit Phillip Island is to see the Little Penguins that reside there - who would have thought Australia of all places would be home to penguins? 

We were dropped at the plush visitors centre and basically told 'be back at the bus for 9:25pm or pay the $300 fare taxi ride home'. I knew where I would be come 9:25! I was dying for food so bought something to eat from the overpriced bistro and then scanned my ticket to head down to the beach.

I walked along a boardwalk where little penguin huts stood, a small number actually with a penguin in them. This was my only chance to take photos of the little guys as once the sun was fully set, cameras were a no-go.

Down on the beach, I sat nice and close to the front, and the crowd waited in anticipation for the parade to begin. I pride myself on my observational skills so was thrilled to be the first one to spot their white bellies come out of the ocean. Initially the penguins stood timid in the surf, before a group of them would rush up the beach and into the safety of the grasslands. 
I sat there for about half an hour or so as it got darker and darker and more and more penguins made their way up the beach. An added benefit of the night I got there was the spectacular moonrise we saw as it crested over the surrounding hillside. Pretty cool! 

Back in the carpark with plenty of time to spare before our 9:25 cutoff, we took the quiet ride back to Melbourne and almost instantly into bed. What a cool experience to have had, and one I never would have anticipated finding in Australia of all places! 

I hope you enjoyed reading about my Phillip Island adventures - what other Australian hidden gems are you familiar with? Please let me know by dropping me a message in the comments below or on Twitter @CiarasCountry where you can also stay up to date with all of my travel adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment