Monday 13 August 2018

Interview: FRANKIE DAVIES, Nashville Meets London, Canary Wharf



Do you ever see an artist and think ‘now that’s a star in the making’? That was exactly how I felt about Frankie Davies, who performed at this year’s Nashville Meets London festival (read my review here) and kindly agreed to have a chat with me afterwards. Read on for her thoughts on the festival, having an all girl band, and crying every time she sees the Dixie Chicks. Hope you enjoy!

Ciara’s Country (CC): Welcome back to Ciara’s Country – I’m here with the lovely Frankie Davies at Nashville Meets London 2018. Frankie, thank you so much for joining me today!

Frankie Davies (FD): Thank you very much for having me!

CC: So I last saw you when you opened for Maddie and Tae at Koko (check out the review here), and honestly I thought you couldn’t get better but you’ve proven me wrong today!

FD: Aww, thank you, you’re so sweet!

CC: Everyone was so impressed with the beautiful pure voice you have – did you take singing lessons?

FD: I actually didn’t. When I went to university to study music they asked if I’d had singing lessons because we’ll need you to take them, and I said ‘no!’ I did pick a few things up with the singing lessons but it wasn’t something I’d ever done before. I just love music, that’s all!

CC: I’m impressed! It’s been a while since I last saw you, what have you been up to since then?

FD: Lots of things! I was on tour with Josh Kelley, I’ve moved into a house and have been decorating, but mainly and most importantly I’ve been recording and getting ready for something real soon…

CC: That’s what I like to hear! Any hints?

FD: Everything you heard today will be out into the world soon!

CC: Good, soon! Fantastic set today, I saw everyone really engaged with it, how did it make you feel?

FD: I just loved it and the crowd was so lovely. I was in such a different world because when we were running out of time I didn’t even realise because I was having so much fun! The crowd were just magical. There’s so many people here! I didn’t realise there would be this many people, it was really lovely, I enjoyed myself so much!

CC: This is the biggest the festival has been, probably because people like you are on the bill!

FD: No, shut up! You’re just being kind!

CC: Do you have a favourite song to perform live?

FD: Oh there’s too many for so many reasons. I’m really enjoying The Sweetest Sound at the moment, I played it on my own today, because I’m really enjoying trying to get the crowd into the ‘oh my oh my’ bit. It was really good today.

CC: You did a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s The Chain.

FD: Yeah, that’s become a bit of a staple of ours. I think everyone gets annoyed if we don’t do it because we’ve done it so many times as a band. That was our first time as a proper band together. Normally we have a female guitarist but she’s on the West End at the moment, so we’ve got two new guys.

CC: Lucky her! I was commenting on the fact you have an almost all female band.

FD: Normally it would be!

CC: How cool!

FD: It is cool, and I love it. The girls are just so talented that it’s really hard to find some people to replace them! But the guys, Dan and Jonny, are so great too.

CC: And it was great to see you play on your own too, we got the best of both worlds.

FD: Thank you very much!

CC: So Nashville Meets London – you’ve been to Nashville many times.

FD: Yes, about four times.

CC: Making us all jealous! What’s your favourite thing about Music City?

FD: Everyone is involved in or connected to music. It’s just mental, it really is because you’ll meet one person and they’re friends of a friend that you know, and they’re in the music industry too. Everyone is involved, they’re all songwriters or musicians or producers. It’s so connected, it’s really magical. I don’t think I could live there because I need to live by the sea, but I think I went there for a month and a half once, and it flew by because I just loved every single day. It inspired me to write more, to be more proactive, it was great.

CC: Tell me about the inspiration behind your writing – some from Nashville, where else does it come from?

FD: Yeah, all of it is personal. I used to do a lot of more ‘made up’ stuff which is on my EP that I released, but lately I’ve just been tapping into everything I’m feeling and putting it all down. Stories and maybe even using other peoples experiences and using them in a more personal way, because then I feel more tapped into it and more passionate about the song.

CC: What’s a big theme that you tend to write about?

FD: Family’s a big one. Also travelling around and experiencing new things, that’s a real big one. Also just stories about what I’ve been through.

CC: I read as well that you grew up listening to country music. Were there artists who were particularly formative in finding your voice?

FD: Yes! Dolly Parton was the songwriter I was looking up to. Her songs are just incredible. I love her so much! But also the Dixie Chicks were a main part of my childhood. Alison Krauss as well, but mainly the Dixie Chicks and Dolly Parton.

CC: To me you’ve become known as ‘the person who tours with big US artists’ – Maddie & Tae, Josh Kelley, Chris Young, Charlie Worsham – is there a dream artist you’d like to tour with?

FD: The Dixie Chicks. I would cry. I went to see them when they played Country 2 Country and then also went to their own gig at the O2. I cried! The whole way through! Every time they would sing a song and I’d sing along with them, I cried. It’s so sad! But that’s how much I love them. I don’t do that for anyone else, just the Dixie Chicks.

CC: Aww, bless! Maybe even more so than C2C, I think Nashville Meets London is great for bringing lesser known artists into the spotlight – is there someone you think everyone should be listening to?

FD: Oh, there’s so many people on this country scene who are great. I honestly can’t think of one off the top of my head. I love Laura Oakes so much.

CC: She played here a couple of years ago.

FD: Did she? I love her so much! She needs to be bigger. So does Debbie Mariner. There’s so many that all need more recognition.

CC: And you too, but hopefully after today you’ll have got plenty more fans.

FD: Thank you very much!

CC: Well I hope to see you play soon. And to finish up, in an interview, is there a question you’ve never been asked but would love to be?

FD: No! I don’t know, I’ve not really thought about it! I’m just there answering the questions. I’ll have a think and let you know next time.

CC: Perfect, I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks for answering my questions!

FD: Lovely to meet you!

What a lovely interviewee! I hope you enjoyed today’s interview as much as I enjoyed chatting to Frankie – let me know your thoughts in the comments below, and be sure to follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry for interviews of more Nashville Meets London artists and further reviews of concerts to come. I’m sure we’ll be seeing Frankie at many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment