Monday 6 August 2018

Interview: THE ADELAIDES, Nashville Meets London, Canary Wharf


What happens when you take three talented solo artists and mesh them together, complete with fantastic style and stunning harmonies? The Adelaides, that’s what! I was lucky enough to catch up with them at Nashville Meets London this year (my review of which you can read here) for a quick interview – read on for the inspiration behind their name, why three is better than one, and sharing the love for another NML artist.

Ciara’s Country (CC): I’m joined today by The Adelaides after their set at Nashville Meets London in Canary Wharf. Lovely to meet you all! First things first, where did you get your name?

Paris Georgia (PG): The name actually came from a film musical from the 1950s called Calamity Jane.

CC: Ah, Doris Day!

PG: Yes! There was a character called Adelaide Adams and she was a really popular singer, showgirl and actress, so we just took inspiration from her really.

CC: What a fantastic idea! Your outfits certainly fit the vibe – I wish this was the style we had all the time. You definitely have the stage presence to fit the name too!

Abi Phillips (AP): We do try!

CC: How’s this year been going for you guys?

Alicia Alba (AA): It’s been like a whirlwind, it’s been non stop.

AP: The summer’s just been very good. I feel like since C2C it’s been like a snowball effect. It’s been so good because we’ve only been together a year – it was our year anniversary yesterday – and we’ve done all these festivals. They’re ones we’ve all wanted to do for years and it’s just so amazing to be able to perform here.

CC: That’s incredible that in a year you’ve managed to play C2C and Nashville Meets London. And you even had solo careers before this?

PG: Yeah, we all used to do solo, and I think it really helps that we’ve done that because we all know our own niches, and we can all write individually so when we come together it’s even stronger.

CC: How does it compare being in a band than playing solo?

PG: It’s just so much more fun.

AA: It’s boring on your own!

AP: I feel like you vibe off each other a lot more, and when you’re on the road it’s a lot less lonely. Three’s better than one. Everyone’s got different ideas, it’s just so much more fun. I feel like we all know what each others going through, so no one’s ever alone in anything.

CC: I’d say three is better than one particularly with your harmonies today! Jolene, which you just played for us is such a tough song to sing, but you absolutely nailed it.

AA: Thank you so much. We love that song.

CC: And what a song to sing at Nashville Meets London – have you visited the home of country music?

PG: No, but we’re going to in September.

AA: We can’t wait to see what it’s like playing to a Nashville audience.

CC: Exciting! This festival is a great place for new bands like yourselves – are there any underrated artists you think people should be listening to?

AP: Keywest. I wouldn’t even say they’re underrated but they’re incredible and they definitely deserve success.

CC: As do you guys! Hopefully we’ll see lots more of you soon. To end our interview, what’s a question you’ve never been asked in an interview but wish you had been?

PG: That’s a hard one, wow! Probably that question!

AP: My mind’s just gone completely blank…

PG: We’ve never been asked about our styles really. We’ve all got our own individual styles. I personally love Carrie Underwood and Kelsea Ballerini’s type of style.

AA: I’m the same really.

AP: ‘We all have our own individual styles’ ‘I’m the same really!’

AA: I know! I like to change things up a bit and try new things. I don’t really stick to one thing. I like to be adventurous with my style.

AP: I just wear the same thing in different colours.

CC: Well thank you all so much for taking the time to chat with me today.

All: You’re welcome!

Thanks so much to The Adelaides for chatting to me! I hope you enjoyed reading this interview as much as I enjoyed doing it – if you did, drop me a message in the comments below, and be sure to follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry for even more interviews still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment