Sunday 31 December 2017

Top Albums of 2017 (So Far!): Part 4

We made it to the end of another year! Whilst 2017 sure as heck hasn’t been an easy one for a lot of people, at least we’ve been blessed with some amazing music from our favourite artists. If you’ve not seen Parts 1, 2, and 3 of this series for 2017, be sure to scroll through my blog to check them out. Now on to the round up of some of my favourite albums from the last part of the year. Hope you enjoy!

Kelsea Ballerini – Unapologetically
Why it made the list: Kelsea is such a joy to listen to, with lyrics that speak to the millennial generation (and I’m sure others), in the same way that early Taylor Swift did in her country era, and continues to do now. In Unapologetically, Kelsea again toys the line between country and pop with plenty of drum beat, and yet differentiates herself from mainstream pop with lyrics that actually mean something. High School details the story of a boy still stuck in his glorious past; Roses of a fast paced but beautiful romance, and the sultry Music of someone speaking to you just like a song does. My favourite track, however, has to be I Hate Love Songs, a satirical track with brilliant lyrics – definitely give it a listen. Sophomore albums are always a challenge, and Kelsea had a lot to live up to with the fantastic The First Time, but she’s certainly done herself proud with this one.  I have no doubt she’ll be giving the likes of Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert a run for their money in a few years time. Check out my review of Kelsea’s concert here.
Top Tracks: I Hate Love Songs, Roses, Miss Me More 

Kesha – Rainbow
Why it made the list: I know, I know, a bit different from the usual types of albums I talk about, but I’ve really enjoyed listening to Rainbow over the past few months and I’m sure you will too, regardless of what genre of music usually floats your boat. And yes, for my country fans out there, there’s even a duet with Dolly Parton on here too! I’ve long been a fan of Kesha from back in her electro-beat party pop era, but this album is truly something else. After years of hardship and legal battles with her producer, Kesha has used both the pain from the fight, and the relief on getting out the other side to create a truly stunning album. There are still some great party songs, but even these have evolved. Take Woman for example, which can easily be screamed out loud on the dancefloor, but take a closer listen and you’ll find an empowering anthem. The real stars are where you can feel raw emotion, three of which follow each other almost chronologically. First up is Hymn, both about losing faith and finding it again (and covered by Maren Morris which encouraged me to check out this album); followed by Praying about wishing not pain on those who have hurt you, but hoping they find redemption within themselves. Finally we have the liberating Learn To Let Go, whose title speaks for itself. Kesha is undoubtedly a phoenix, rising from the ashes as something even brighter than before.
Top Tracks: Boots, Learn to Let Go, Hymn

Walker Hayes – boom.
Why it made the list: Dan & Shay first told me about Walker Hayes as one to watch, and I’m glad they did because boom. certainly suggests we should keep our eyes open for him. The album is full of refreshing songs which deserve a call out only because of their interesting titles – Shut Up Kenny, Halloween (listenable at any time of the year) and the simply titled Craig. This isn’t easily recognisable as country music, with plenty of similarities with the likes of Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz as Hayes almost sing-talks and raps more than sings as we know it but if you’re looking for something that’s certainly very different to your usual, you might just find in this.
Top Tracks: Beckett, Beautiful, Mind Candy

Chase Rice – Lambs & Lions
Why it made the list: Chase Rice’s gravelly voice and anthem type songs certainly lend themselves to raising a glass or lighter, and this is clearly evident on Rice’s latest album. The album begins with Lions and On Tonight which set the tone for hard rocking hands up tracks before shifting year into some actually quite sweet songs like Unforgettable and Eyes On You. There is of course the obligatory drinking song (Jack Daniel’s Showed Up) but also very personal songs like Amen. For this reason, this is an album hard to define that, as aforementioned, would easily work in a stadium as well as in an intimate venue, which is where I first heard most of these songs (read my review here). If you like Sam Hunt, you might just like Chase Rice too.
Top Tracks: Eyes On You, Unforgettable, Three Cords & The Truth.

Did you agree with my list, and my top picks for 2017 (don’t forget to read the other parts elsewhere on my blog!) I’d love to know what albums you enjoyed listening to this year, so drop me a comment below or on Twitter @CiarasCountry. No doubt there’s plenty of great music I missed out on this year so be sure to let me know what you loved, and what you’d like to see in future blog posts. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment