Friday 31 March 2023

Interview: ADAM DOLEAC (Part 2)

 

I sat down with one of my favourite country artists, Adam Doleac for a great chat after his show at C2C Country 2 Country in London. Check out Part 1 of our interview here, and read on for more info about his favourite songs to play and write, making an album, family and more!

 

Ciara's Country (CC): You decided to bring another C2C artist out on tour with you – Alana Springsteen, who’s opening for you on the Barstool Whiskey Wonderland tour - how do you choose who opens for you on tour?

 

Adam Doleac (AD): I don’t have that much experience, because this is my first headlining tour, so I’m usually the one opening for people like Kane Brown and Zac Brown Band. But this time, they sent us a list of a bunch of artists, and Alana is somebody that I think is super talented. I think she's got a big career ahead of her. She's also a great writer, which we’re able to do a bit of on the road too, so I asked her, and luckily she said yes! We're having a blast, she's been killing it. Hopefully both of us make it to New York on time for the show!

 

CC: I’m hoping your Stateside tour turns into a world tour soon.

 

AD: You and me both! As soon as I can, I’ll be back here, I promise.

 

CC: Have you noticed a difference between how US fans respond to your music versus UK fans?

 

AD: A huge difference.  Both crowds love the music, but in very different ways - UK fans have a lot of respect for the music, they're very quiet - you almost have to tell them to scream if you want them to scream, whereas in the States it's more a lot of drinking, a lot of ‘rah rah’. It's a different type of thing. I kind of dive in the ‘John Mayer’ world of things - acoustic guitar and singing, so I love how quiet the crowds have been here. I played a show last night and you could have heard a penny drop on the ground. I love that. That's my favourite way to play, so I hope the crowds here have had as much fun listening as I’ve had playing for them because they've been great.

 

CC: Having just seen you perform live, I can definitely vouch for that.

 

AD: Thank you!

 

CC: Do you have a favourite song to perform live?

 

AD: Probably Whiskey’s Fine. That's my favourite song to sing right now. It always changes! Coulda Loved You Longer is another one of my favourites to play. Barstool Whiskey Wonderland is another great one, too. I love that one.

 

CC: You’ve written so many songs for yourself and other people, including Darius Rucker, Dan + Shay, Lainey Wilson. Out of all the songs you’ve written, which is your favourite?

 

AD: That's a near impossible question, they're all my babies! You know, my favourite song right now is on the new record, I think – Where Country Music Comes From. It's number two on the record, and I actually wrote it to be the last song on the record, but I just fell in love with it while I was recording it, so I moved it all the way up to number two because I wanted to make sure people heard it! I love songs that are simple and can relate to everyone, and I feel like that song really does that. No matter who you are listening to it, you can relate to it. That's my favourite thing about a lot of music.

 

CC: Of course, so much goes into the process of creating a great album – was the tracklist order something that was really important for you?

 

AD: Always! You remember when you're in seventh or eighth grade, and you’re making a burnt CD or a mixtape for someone you like? You think about the order, because it needs to flow. I actually really care - I listen to the songs, I put them all in order, and I make sure I like the flow from top to bottom because that's my favourite way to listen to an album - top to bottom.

 

CC: I’m going to be listening so closely to your album next time I play it! I’m looking for some new album recommendations too - I always find festivals like this great because they really allow us to discover up-and-coming artists. Are there any underrated artists out there you think everyone should be listening to?

 

AD: Yeah, there's so many! One that comes to mind is my buddy Matt Roy - he's an up-and-comer. He’s a great songwriter with a bit of an Eric Church vibe to him. You know, I actually call him my Nashville child. He's not actually my son, but he's my Nashville son and I think he's going to do some great things coming up. He's written a couple of number ones already and I think he's starting to do his own thing as an artist, so yeah, shout out Matt Roy!

 

CC: Sweet, I'll keep an eye out for him. Final question for you, Adam: what is one question you've never been asked in an interview but would love to be?

 

AD: That’s a tough one! I like any questions about my family and the way I was brought up and raised. I have a song called Mom and Daddy’s Money that kind of incorporates that. That's a big part of who I am and where I am, so I love getting to talk about them anytime I can.

 

CC: Will we be hearing some songs influenced by family on your next project?

 

AD: For sure. Actually, most of them are, whether you realise it or not. There's a lot of family in there. You know, speaking about your question, somebody asked me yesterday ‘if I was a potato chip, what type of potato chip would my personality be?’ That’s a question I've never ever heard before, but not one that I wanted to be asked!

 

CC: Well, I liked all your answers today! Adam, thank you so much for your time, and I can’t wait to see you soon!

 

AD: I really appreciate it, thank you for having me! 

 

A huge thanks to Adam for such a wonderful interview! For even more interview content, stay tuned at @CiarasCountry - plenty more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment