Thursday 5 May 2022

Interview: AVERY ANNA (Part 2)

 


*check out Part 1 of my interview with Avery here!*

 

CC: We’re speaking a little while after you performed at C2C Country 2 Country in London. I was there, and I knew you were going to be fantastic, but I'm going to totally fangirl on you now and say that I was absolutely blown away by your performances, your confidence, your range and how you somehow even sounded better live than on your records. It was such a highlight of the festival, and I think you were one of the my favourite artists that I've ever seen at C2C.

 

AA: Thank you so much, that’s so sweet!

 

CC: What was it like performing at C2C?

 

AA: I’m just now starting to get into show, so it was amazing. I can't even describe it to you, especially the last night on the Spotlight stage - being able to watch people have a reaction and feel those emotions as I'm singing is the most amazing feeling in the entire world. I love it so much. I could literally cry! And some people out there knew the words to my songs too, that was so cool.

 

CC: I can safely say that all 20,000 of us were completely enraptured by you on the Spotlight stage. There were so many amazing artists on the C2C lineup, yourself included - were there any that you were particularly excited to see?

 

AA: Oh, definitely Ashley McBryde. When she was singing Girl Goin’ Nowhere, I literally started crying. It was so good. She's one of my favourites. I really liked watching Breland too - he brought such good energy to the stage, and he's just such a cool dude.

 

CC: Speaking of Ashley's song Girl Goin’ Nowhere, it's all about those people who say you’re never going to make it, no matter how hard you try. Did you ever get any of that when you were starting out?

 

AA: Honestly, the most negative talk that I've ever received is from my own self. I honestly had never really believed that this could happen for me until other people started believing in me, but I feel like this past year, I've really proven to myself that I should be a little bit more gracious and believe in myself, because I could take it to the next level and really reach some people. It’s more fighting with my own head instead of other people.

 

CC: Sometimes all it takes is somebody pointing it out for you to release what you’ve got! There’s loads of talented people in country and other genres too - is there anybody you’d love to record a duet with or perform with?

 

AA: Hmm… This is an impossible duet since she's no longer with us, but my dream would have been to sing with Patsy Cline. She's got such a unique voice and she's amazing. Right now, I’m really into Zach Bryan and Kelsea Ballerini, so those would be great.

 

CC: I can really see those duets happening.

 

AA: I hope they do!

 

CC: How did you enjoy your time this side of the pond in London?

 

AA: It was so awesome. I only had one day to tour the city, but it was so amazing. Everyone was so nice, and you all sound really smart because your accents are beautiful. The city is so pretty too - I love all the old buildings and the colourful doors. Everything's awesome.

 

CC: Did you do anything specifically British while you were here?

 

AA: I did have tea and finger sandwiches, which I've never done before. I did have a macaron for the first time too, but I feel like that's a French thing!

 

CC: Can we get your tea order?

 

AA: It was a black tea with vanilla. I'm not much of a tea drinker, so I got the sweetest one I could think of.

 

CC: I'm really glad you were able to have tea, and so many more places for you to try when you come back.

 

AA: I hope so!

 

CC: We spoke a little earlier about the tracks that you've already released – what’s next?

 

AA: I've been writing some really deep songs, and I did go into the studio yesterday – that’s all I can say! Hopefully new music soon.

 

CC: Well, all I can say is that when you do a full European tour to promote the songs you've already got and the ones that you're telling me about, I can assure you, I'll be there in the front row. As you know, you’ve become one of my favourite artists of the last few years - I love discovering new and up and coming artists and I think one of the best ways to do that is by asking artists that I love who they recommend. Avery, are there any underrated or new artists that you think everyone should be listening to?

 

AA: I don't know how new I can call him, but I really admire Zack Bryan and his songwriting. He seems very true to himself. Newer artists – Jenna Raine. She's not country but she’s a great songwriter, and such a happy soul. She’s very underrated and I think she's going to go places with her light and her happiness.

 

CC: I’d love to see a songwriting session with you and the two you just mentioned.

 

AA: Yes, hopefully!

 

CC: Our interview is coming to an end, but I have one last question for you - what is one question you've never been asked in an interview, but would love to be?

 

AA: Oh, my goodness! Maybe my favourite song to sing in church? That would probably be Amazing Grace or How Great Thou Art.

 

CC: I think we definitely need some kind of church album from you at some point then.

 

AA: Yeah, I love when artists cover church hymns and songs. It's so awesome so hopefully I can do that one day.

 

CC: I hope so too! I think there'll be a lot of fantastic things to come from you. Avery, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to talk with me, giving my listeners and readers an insight into who you are, and finding out that you are just as lovely in person as I expected you to be.

 

AA: Thanks! Next time I come to London, hopefully we can do this again but in person.

 

CC: You bet. See you then! 

 

This was without a doubt one of my favourite interviews I've ever done - I can't wait to catch up with Avery again sometime soon, and look forward to seeing what's still to come from her! If you'd like to stay up to date on all of my future reviews and interviews, make sure to drop me a follow on Twitter @CiarasCountry. Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment