Friday 3 September 2021

Interview: HALLE KEARNS (Part 1)


Just over a year ago, Halle Kearns released her very first country single. Today, she has over 3.5 million streams across her songs - this is only the beginning for Halle, so I was keen to find out what it took for Halle to make her mark in the industry. She was kind enough to join me for chats (and laughs) about debut EP ‘Finally’, writing happy & sad songs, finding the balance between people-pleasing and selflove, and much more – enjoy!

 

Ciara’s Country (CC): One of my favourite things to do is highlight amazing female country singers, and I have a great one for you today! I’m joined by rising star Halle Kearns - welcome, Halle!

 

Halle Kearns (HK): Thank you so much, that's the sweetest intro!

 

CC: The past year has been a bit of a whirlwind for you – what’s that been like?

 

HK: Yeah, I released my first song in July of 2020, so it's really been only about a year now! I'd been playing music full time for about four years prior to that, so it was weird because I've been in the industry for a while. I feel like the past year was my first mark of ‘here I am, I can actually give you all music!’

 

CC: Your first release was Pick Me Up, which was also the first song of yours that I heard. It’s such a summery song about working a long, hard week and just needing that well deserved pick-me-up. What’s a pick-me-up for you?

 

HK: Honestly, my pick-me-ups are just laying low, which is kind of funny! I like turning my brain off and hanging out my friends - anything that I don't have to think about or anything I can use my hands on. Basically the opposite of what I'm doing during the workweek!

 

CC: What kind of things do you like to do to relax?

 

HK: I actually got into sewing recently, which is super strange, but I’ve learned how to hand sew! And I like being outside with my friends, hanging out and getting to catch up and talk about what they're up to and everything. That's my favourite.

 

CC: Thanks for sharing your pick-me-ups, and indeed the song Pick Me Up, which was featured on your debut EP, Finally. I really like that EP title, because in my head that’s what I imagine all your fans were thinking – ‘finally, Halle’s giving us some more music!’ Can you shed some light on where that EP name actually came from?

 

HK: For sure! I’d been playing music full time back in Missouri and Kansas for about four years by that point, so by the time I started releasing music, it really did feel like that - that sigh of relief of ‘okay, we're finally doing this’. I called my dad and told him we were really struggling with the EP title - we'd gone through so many different options, and nothing was really clicking. He just went ‘how about Finally?’ and I thought it was actually really cool. We sat with it for a minute, and then I just decided it makes sense because it's finally happening - after working on music for five, six years, I finally got my first project out. It just made sense to conclude with that.

 

CC: How did it feel finally releasing all of that new music to everyone?

 

HK: There's no feeling like that. I cried most of the day! It came out on December 11 and it was a mix of emotions - that sigh of relief that it was out in the world and the work in terms of its creation was all finished, and now it’s just out there for people to enjoy. Then there's anxiety around it, there's excitement, so many different emotions that overcome you when releasing a project like that. I think I felt a little bit of everything and all of it just came out as tears all day!

 

CC: Happy tears, excited tears, anxious tears.

 

HK: Exactly!

 

CC: What I really like about what you did with Finally is that even though there's just a few songs on it, you managed to fit in a variety of different kinds of songs - happy songs like Whatever You Do, sad songs like Before He Could. Do you find yourself tending to write more happy or sad songs?

 

HK: Lately, it’s still that blend, but I just try really hard to be honest with what my story is. That's kind of where the focus has shifted, so I'm making sure every lyric and every line is so authentic to what I've experienced, because the more I lean into that, the more connection I'm feeling with my listeners and with the people around me. I'm really working hard every time I'm writing to be like, ‘okay, this lyric sounds really good, but is it something I've actually gone through? Is it something I actually believe?’ That’s the direction I'm going right now.

 

CC: I love how you mentioned honesty there because that’s definitely something we can see in your new releases. You’ve just released Nothing Left, the first single from your next EP, and that song is honesty to a tee. It's a heartwrenching track about a girl giving everything to those around her and leaving her own self drained. Is that something that you wrote from personal experience?

 

HK: Absolutely, yes. That song comes from a place of being told, even from a young age, ‘oh, you're so sweet. You're so loving. Thank you for always being there.’ I think when you're young and you're told those things, you think, ‘well, people love me because I'm like this.’ It becomes an identity thing. It's not that I don't love helping and being there for other people, but there are some times where you need to look after yourself and say no to certain things, and not just people please all the time. I think I get that line blurred a lot.

 

Nothing Left came from that place - a day where I was just feeling super drained, super empty, just like I didn’t have any more to give. Of course, those things comes come in waves and you need to learn how to manage them. It's a beautiful role to play if you can figure out the balance, but this is a song about a girl who doesn't have that balance yet.

 

CC: I think that's something that a lot of people can probably relate to – giving so much to other people and not actually giving enough to yourself. Have you found that balance yet?

 

HK: I think it’s a process of remembering and forgetting, like anything else in life. There are days where I think I've really found the healthy balance and then days where I'm like, ‘wow, I'm really drained and I don't know why.’ Then I reflect on my week and see ‘oh, yeah, I've been running, running, running all the time’, so I just need to sit and be. I think it's constantly reminding yourself whenever you get like that that it's okay to feel really drained right now, but because I feel this way I need to make sure I'm taking some time for myself – to get refreshed and do whatever I need to do to. Self love.

 

CC: Good advice! Out of all of the songs you’ve worked on, do you have a favourite that you've written or released?

 

HK: It depends on the day! Like you said, Finally was a little bit of everything and I think I wanted it to be a little intro into who I am as a person and as an artist as well. I hope with each of these releases to go deeper into that, but my favourite right now is probably still Shoes to Fill, only because I am the biggest daddy's girl in the world. That song is all about honouring my dad, so I think that's always going to hold a special place no matter how many other songs I write, no matter how old I get.

 

CC: Is your dad the first person you call whenever you have news about your songs?

 

HK: Yep! For anything - news about my songs, any update with friends, anything going on in my life, any good, bad, ugly situation. He's my first call. I'm 24 years old, but I still call my dad!

 

Halle was such a lovely interviewee that we couldn’t stop talking – I’ll be posting Part 2 of our interview soon, where we chat new projects, average days in the studio, dream artists to tour with, that cover art, and more. Stay tuned on Twitter @CiarasCountry to be the first to know when that’s live – thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment