Tuesday 10 August 2021

Interview: ALYSSA BONAGURA (Part 2)

 


Alyssa Bonagura is definitely an artist worth knowing, and I loved chatting with her about her musical upbringing, studying with Paul McCartney (basically) and more in Part 1 of our interview, but we had so much more to talk about, including not fitting into boxes, being vulnerable, hidden talents, favourite things and more - enjoy!

 

Ciara's Country (CC): As well as personal transformation, I feel like your musical style has also transformed so much over the years – you’ve gone from pop to rock to country, a bit of everything. I like the idea that your music doesn't necessarily fit one genre, but how easy is that to do in the music industry when there might often be people saying ‘no, you have to fit into this specific niche’?

 

Alyssa Bonagura (AB): A lot of people told me that for a long time, even before I was in the Sisterhood Band, back when I was doing my own thing. I have always written whatever was true to me, and I'm inspired by everything - places I go, people I meet, music I listen to. I've always loved the radio, so whatever’s on the radio is my biggest inspiration. Sometimes that's a pop song, sometimes a country song, sometimes a rocky Foo Fighters song, sometimes a Coldplay song. Whatever is connecting with me is what I take in.

 

I've always just written my truth, and I’ve always tried to produce what the song needs rather than trying to make it something. I think that you're supposed to be your own thing, and the cool thing about country music right now is that it's always been about the story; but it's also really broad in the way where there's pop country, there's rock country, there's full country, there's all these different kinds of country music.

 

My music has definitely transformed over the years, I made a folk record, I made a pop record, I made a rock record with the Sisterhood, and now I'm leaning towards a little country, a little rock and roll, a little pop, it's all the things I grew up listening to.

 

CC: You said country is all about storytelling, and I think we’ve got the first story in this ‘new Alyssa’ of your New Wings transformation moving on from hardship and struggle. What stories are still to come?

 

AB: I think the story of being more of myself. I was really inspired by Jacob Collier, who's one of my favourite artists, and he's a Brit. I heard him say in an interview that the thing that you have to do is be more and more of yourself, and that's all you should ever be. That really inspired me because I think sometimes it's very easy to get caught up in the trap of people telling you, ‘you need to do this, you need to do that,’ - to make money, to be played on the radio, to fit in.

 

The truth is, as we all become more of ourselves, we aren't meant to fit in, we're meant to stand out, and I think that that's what you'll be hearing from me in the coming months - more of who I am, more of who I've grown to be, more of the stuff that's inspired me, that maybe I've been afraid to include in my music before now. I think you'll hear less fear and more ambition in this music for me.

 

CC: I look forward to seeing that personal, vulnerable, open side that you sound like you're going to deliver.

 

AB: Thank you! I'm excited to share it. I was always afraid to do that, but I'm not afraid anymore because I think the whole point of musicians is to connect with people. I think we all go through that vulnerable feeling and I think that it's important to be vulnerable, because we can really connect with someone on a real level.

 

CC: Is it difficult allowing yourself to be that vulnerable when you know that there's going to be thousands of people who listen to and interpret your songs?

 

AB: Absolutely, but I don't really care if it makes sense to people that are on the business side of it, I really only care what the people that are hearing it think, the fans who love music. I want them to connect with it. I think my job on Earth is to just try and be a messenger for the people that need a voice and, and if I can do that with my music, that's the only reason I'm doing it, so I feel grateful for that gift and I want to share it as much as I can.

 

CC: I love that. So we know that you’re a messenger, a great singer, songwriter, but I was also really impressed to find out that you are a multi-instrumentalist! Exactly how many instruments can you play?

 

AB: Oh my gosh, well, if it has strings, I try and pick it up and play it! I started on piano and then moved to guitar, and I also know how to play mandolin, bass and drums. I did try and pick up the cello once, even though I don't really know what I'm doing on it! I play ukulele as well, but one of my favourite instruments to play is piano - I really, really love playing piano. I actually don't know how to read music, I play all by ear, so the reason I like piano is there's so many different ways you can do something.

 

CC: Wow! Okay then, that’s one of your known talents – do you have any hidden talents?

 

AB: I'm a really good tap dancer! I grew up dancing - hip hop and tap. I was a really good tap dancer, and I think I still have my tap shoes. I've actually been talking about getting back into it very soon.

 

CC: I am very much hoping that that will be incorporated into some of your live shows in future.

 

AB: Who knows – maybe during the arena tour I’ll have a 10 minute tap dancing section.

 

CC: Please do! So one of the things that I really love to do on my show is to highlight underrated or not hugely heard of artists. One of the ways that I do that is by speaking to artists about who they themselves are listening to – Alyssa, are there any up and coming, maybe a little unknown, artists that you think everyone should be listening to?

 

AB: Well, I don't know if everyone knows about Jacob Collier but they should. He's unbelievable. He does jazz, folk, pop and R&B, and all different kinds of music. He was up for Album of the Year this year at the Grammys - he's phenomenal. I saw a band this weekend at Buckle & Boots that blew me away called Morganway, they were awesome, I love them. Who else? I really love Lennon Stella, Patrick Droney – he’s a really good friend of mine. He is phenomenal, and I got to sing on five songs on his new album.

 

CC: I am utterly obsessed with Patrick Droney and even more so now! I'm going to have to go back and listen to all of his songs and be like, ‘oh my gosh, that's Alyssa!’

 

AB: Yeah, I sang on River, When The Lights Go Out, Call Me On Your Way Home, and all that stuff!

 

CC: Well, now not only am I going to need a tap dancing performance, but also a duet with Patrick please.

 

AB: Actually, that might be coming up…

 

CC: I'm going to hold you to that! Alyssa I have one final question for you - what is one question you've never been asked in an interview but we'd love to be?

 

AB: Gosh, that's really tough. I feel like the personal questions are really fun. Like what kind of makeup do you use, or what's your favourite clothing store? Those funny questions that give you a quirky insight of what the person's like.

 

CC: Can you share three of your favourite things right now?

 

AB: This hat! I love a new hat. I got it at Jessie Western, this Western inspired store on Portobello Road. I found it and I was like, ‘oh my god, this is my store!’ I love these silver bangles that I'm wearing. They're my mom's from a long time ago and I wear them every day. And then what's another favourite thing of mine? Probably my new AirPods.

 

CC: Any particular reason?

 

AB: Because I get to listen to music without a cable attached to my phone! It's pretty amazing, Bluetooth.

 

CC: Who’d have thought? Alyssa, thank you for sharing some of your favourite things and for sharing so much in today's interview, it's been a real pleasure. I really look forward to everything that is still to come for you!

 

AB: Thank you so much!

 

Huge thank you to Alyssa for joining me for such a great interview, and to you readers for reading! If you enjoyed this interview, check out my Twitter @CiarasCountry for loads more content coming soon, and @alyssabonagura to be the first to know about new music. Thank you so much for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment