Monday 24 May 2021

Best of Music: May 2021

*check out my last music round-up here!*

Where does the time go? It’s the end of May already, which means the year is flying by, but also means another great month of music. I’ve discovered some great new artists and songs this month to get you in that early summer groove, so read on for some of my favourites, and check out my full monthly playlist here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/25AUfnrbnCTm4hVtWJTSeR?si=c53e6b3e01ae49ca – enjoy! 

 

Between You & Me – Roman Alexander

I have a new ‘one to watch’ for you! I’m pretty discerning with my playlists, so if someone makes it on there twice, it’s safe to assume that they probably have a pretty big future ahead of them. Between You & Me was one of the first songs to make my May 21 playlist, and once you listen, you’ll know why. Roman has a perfect country voice – somewhere between Kane Brown and Chris Young, and this slow and cute song highlights it perfectly. Lyrics like “Can I tell you a secret? Between you and me, all I can think about is leaving here early to get you alone,” are enough to make me swoon, and both Roman’s solo version or his duet of this song with Ashley Cooke are both winners. Wondering what the other Roman song that made my playlist is? Trying Not To with other newcomer Alana Springsteen!

https://genius.com/Roman-alexander-between-you-and-me-lyrics


 
Supposed To – Blu Eyes

Someone please tell me what genre of music this is, because it’s evaded me for years, but I definitely dig it and want to hear more of it! To me, Blu Eyes is Billie Eilish but happier – same kind of soft, thoughtful vocals, but with the sort of melody that perhaps doesn’t make you want to cry. The same can’t necessarily be said about the lyrics, but one thing I’ll give them is that they certainly are relatable: “It’s been four months since I heard from you, somebody told me that you moved again, and I know that you blocked me but I still try and check up on you every once in a while just to make sure you’re doin’ okay. Yeah, I know I’m supposed to hate you and wish we’d never met… but still, I know I never will.” It’s angelic, and well worth a listen. 

https://music.apple.com/us/album/supposed-to-single/1557183668

 
On The Day I Die – The Shires ft Jimmy Allen

I haven’t necessarily been the biggest fan of The Shires’ songs before, having found them try a bit too hard to ‘Americanize’ their songs when actually, I think it works best when they embrace their Britishness. However, I have zero qualms with On The Day I Die, which is why it holds a coveted spot on this month’s list. Having Jimmie Allen feature on the track was an inspired idea, and it is he who starts the song before Ben & Crissie come in with flawless harmonies. I know I talk a lot about wedding songs in my favourites and on my radio show, but honestly, I think this would make a great funeral song (sorry if that’s a bit morbid!) Take a look: “If I did one thing right, it was you and I, oh, I loved you. I’ll always love you, so play it loud all night…I’ve had a good, good life, so darling, dance, don’t cry on the day I die.” 

https://musicandtournews.com/single-review-the-shires-on-the-day-i-die-featuring-jimmie-allen/


 
Sugar – Ernest

I know I’m not supposed to have favourite favourites, but if I did, I think this might be it. I mean, you could write a movie about this meet cute: “At a little canteen south of the border, bartender messed up an order – she got my Jose, I got her wine, I said ‘I’ll buy em both this time if you dance with me in this blue moonlight,’ and that turned into the rest of the night.” Verse two tells us that things weren’t made to last: “By the end of the night my phone had died, she either wrote it down wrong or straight up lied, either way that was our first and only time and I wonder where she went back home to, is she with someone or all alone too?” The only clue he has – her name, Sugar. It’s just an all-round brilliant song – fun lyrics, phenomenal vocals, catchy and with a great GTA style music video too. Going down as one of my songs of the year I think! 

https://open.spotify.com/album/57LCF6Dw99b2ZOEoO3enqu?highlight=spotify:track:1iDI6SJGUPtJ20SYKYi04x

 

Lost – Jordan Brooker

Beats me how I’m the only one to know about these songs, but I’m hoping that some of my readers will give these songs a listen and boost them from obscurity to the stardom they deserve to be! Jordan Brooker’s Lost is currently sitting at under 10,000 views on YouTube, and for how good the song is, that’s a crime. We start with an intriguing guitar melody before Jordan’s husky vocals come in. He hits the chorus: “Oh, I can’t see any place I’d rather be than oh, you an d me dancing in the wild and free, chasing telephone wires down a pitch black road, watching you bloom like a midnight rose, oh, out where stars get crossed, let’s stay lost,” with more insane guitar in the background. This is an absolute must for any lovers of the ‘edgier’ side of country – Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, Devin Dawson.  

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Jordan-Brooker/dp/B086YB35S2

 


Stranger – Riley Roth

From edgy to light, this is definitely a song for those of us that grew up on Disney channel and early 2000s rom-coms. At only twenty-two years old, Riley has put together an upbeat melody with some clever ‘3,2,1’ lyrics: “Three drinks at 2AM, one ‘hey, nice to meet you’, saying ‘what you got goin’ on later?’ How were you ever a stranger? Three words we said too fast, you were just someone one month back, now lovin’ you’s second nature, how were you ever a stranger?” to make a song that will have you dancing around all night long. How could this song get any better, you ask? It’s based on her real life relationship with her boyfriend. How cute! I can already tell that songs like this are going to make for such a good live show. 

https://genius.com/Riley-roth-stranger-lyrics

 

Good 4 U – Olivia Rodrigo

I feel like this song doesn’t even need an explanation, but I’ll add one in just in case you’re unfamiliar with Olivia’s music. I admit, I’ve not been 100% on the Olivia hype train like I know some people have, but her music has certainly not gone unnoticed by me. All I Want from her starring role in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series was up there with one of my most played songs of last year, Driver’s License is a song that I’ve listened to enough times to know all of the words to, and yet neither of them have quite made the cut of my prestigious ‘Best Of’ lists. So what is it about Good 4 U that makes it so good? Remember those early 2000s rom coms I spoke about? This is exactly the sort of song that the lead character’s punk band would play at the school dance. Whatever they’ve put in this song just makes it so fresh and fun. Just listen up to the line ‘like a damn sociopath’ – trust me, you won’t regret it! 

https://www.stereogum.com/2147528/olivia-rodrigo-good-4-u/music/


 
Getting Over Him – Lauren Alaina ft Jon Pardi

Lauren Alaina is so hideously slept on – she has some incredible songs out there (Somebody Else’s Problem and Run being notable examples), and Getting Over Him is utterly underrated, and I think it’s incredible! She teams up with country cowboy Jon Pardi for this bluesy, guitar heavy song – it’s dark, it’s groovy, and it works marvellously as a duet. Lauren and Jon’s vocals are some of the best in the industry, and they really are a dream together as they sing about a no-strings attached arrangement to get over an ex: “Forever wasn’t in our eyes, you knew it, and I knew it, and it was a damn good time. My last call, first call, no falling, just my getting over him guy.” 

 https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/lauren-alaina-getting-over-him/


 
Honestly, I wish I could’ve made two ‘Best Of May’ posts, because I have so many more songs I would have loved to add! I’m sure I’ll still be listening to them throughout the rest of the year, so check back to my blog to see if they might make some future lists! I hope today’s post will encourage you to check out some new artists and songs, and I’d love to find out what songs you’ve loved this month! Let me know on Twitter @CiarasCountry, and if you want to check out everything I’m listening to, my Spotify can be found here, Ciara's Country Spotify. You can also join me ever Friday GMT 5-8pm on www.ukcountryradio.com for three hours of phenomenal country music – I hope you’ll join me! Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment