Monday 21 December 2020

Songs That Got Me Through 2020 (Part 6)

It’s almost the end of the year, which means almost the end of this blog series. Thank you so much to everyone who’s stuck with me from the start (have a look at my last post here) – please let me know whether you listened to any of my tops tracks of the year (and if you liked them!), and indeed what blog series you’d like to see me tackle next by dropping me a message on Twitter @CiarasCountry. Lucky for you, it seemed like I saved the best songs for the end of the year, so read on for more of the great songs that got me through this year!


 
ok on your own – mxmtoon, Carly Rae Jepsen

 I reckon Spotify must have had a nightmare trying to compile my top songs of the year. Just when it thought ‘ah, here we have her most played songs all sorted, surely they won’t change now,’ a song like this comes along and changes everything. Like 7 Summers in my last post, this is a song that makes me feel happy and sad at the same time – I mean, the content is really sad, from my interpretation is about breaking up with someone and has lyrics like this: ‘And I hate to leave you feeling all alone, but your story cannot start until you've grown. You can find how to be OK on your own, I just can't be the one that makes you feel at home,’ and yet it leaves me with a sense of calm. If its place on this list isn’t enough reason to listen, it also features underrated queen Carly Rae Jepsen whose entire Emotion album is still deserving of a Grammy. 

https://genius.com/Mxmtoon-ok-on-your-own-lyrics

  

This Is How U Feel – Loote, Coastr

 I didn’t realise that this is actually the remix of the original song by Loote, but when researching the artist, it is unsurprising that I like this track, given that Loote was responsible for co-writing and producing the Cheat Codes / Demi Lovato track No Promises which is yet another fun track I would recommend a listen to. This is another party track with a phenomenal beat drop that, for me, conjures up images of running around the streets of Italy at night. Funny how music can make you feel like that!

 https://www.amazon.com/This-Feel-COASTR-Remix-Explicit/dp/B08CGXYKZ4

 


The Way You Break My Heart
– Sadie Hawkins

 From never having heard of Sadie Hawkins or this song, The Way You Break My Heart became one of my most played tracks of the year. Why? Well, it’s just a perfect example of a good song. The beat is fantastic, the lyrics are thought-provoking, and it’s a type of song that I really haven’t heard in a long time – the last time I can think of a song that was kind of like this is Family of the Year’s Hero. TWYBMH is a song for when you know it’s time to move on, but it’s hard to do so; and the band have packaged it up into a totally enjoyable track that will be stuck in your head for weeks, but in the best kind of way. 

https://www.amazon.com/Way-You-Break-My-Heart/dp/B07T1LGQJ9

 

 Better Than We Found It – Maren Morris

 I can’t get enough of Maren Morris. She is a phenomenal vocalist, and certainly amongst the best in country music, which is high acclaim indeed. Not only that, but she creates music that matters. Following the horrific Las Vegas shooting at the Route 91 country music festival, Maren released Dear Hate with Vince Gill – a song which both rightly acknowledged some of the terrible things that have happened in recent years but also presented a message of hope when it was most needed. Better Than We Found It has done this again, in a year that has brought us the murder of George Floyd and the most divisive Presidential election in history. As she puts it simply: “When the lines of tomorrow are drawn, can I live with the side that I chose to be on? Will we sit on hands, do nothing about it? Or will we leave this world better than we found it?”

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=60270540

 

 

Bartender – Cady Groves

 This song comes tinged with sadness upon finding out that Cady Groves passed away unexpectedly this year before the release of the EP that this track is from, Bless My Heart. This song certainly helped me get through 2020, and is a hugely fun take on James Blunt’s Bartender. Cady took what was in my humble opinion, a fairly standard song, and turned it into something rich and enjoyable. It’s a great shame that we won’t get any more music from Cady in the future, as she has a voice that I would have loved to experience live, but I’m glad that her memory will always live on through her music. 

https://genius.com/Cady-groves-bartender-lyrics

  

 

Monaco – MKTO

 Now, there’s a name you might not have heard in a long time. MKTO, responsible for 2013 hit Classic which, if you’re not a fan of, we can’t be friends; may have made a song even better than that, and that song is Monaco. From the first line: ‘I’ll go wherever you go, chase you through the streets of Monaco,’ this song is an emotive masterpiece that honestly takes me back to happier days when bands like MKTO, Allstar Weekend, and Hollywood Ending were all I listened to. This is a song that makes you feel warm, and excited, and loved.

https://genius.com/Mkto-monaco-lyrics


 Keep In Touch
– Jake Scott

 This is it: THE song, and unless there are any more surprises, it will be my most played song of this year. Why? Because it is 2020, the year when all we can, and want to do, is keep in touch with those that matter, even though that is so much easier said than done. ‘So I won’t say what I want to, cause I want to tell you that I want you. I think you might know it, but I know it’s too early and I’m worried I’ll say too much. But what if I said it, what would go on in your head cause I don’t want to get ahead of myself and I’m scared that I’d mess this up, so I just keep in touch.”

https://soundcloud.com/user-200188413/keep-in-touch

  

 Highway Honey – Lullanas

Ending on a high with another great new find from the year, and that is Lullanas. If you like Little Big Town or Maddie & Tae, you’ll love Lullanas. I’ve been listening to Memphis, Pennsylvania Skies and Highway Honey for the perfect melodies, and the soft and sweet harmonies that these twin sisters have crafted. They are country, Americana, and folk swirled into one beautiful package. I hope you check out all of the songs I recommend, but I certainly hope you check out these. 

https://lnk.to/HighwayHoney

  

I love all of the songs in this series, but I think I might love some of the songs in today’s post the most. I hope you enjoyed reading about them, and that you might even check one or two out in your free time. I am always keen to find even more new music, so if you have some songs or playlists you’d like to share with me, drop me a message in the comments below, or on Twitter @CiarasCountry. As always, thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment