Thursday 1 October 2020

TRAVEL: Ayia Napa, Cyprus


Please note that everything I did on this trip was done with utmost care and attention to corona regulations. If you're going to travel, travel safe! 

After my fun days in Nicosia and Limassol (check that blog out here), how about another early morning trip the next day? Sure, why not, since today I was heading to Ayia Napa, baby! Again, my first stop was the tourist office where I was recommended to catch the bus onwards to Cape Greco, so I did.


About twenty minutes later, I was landed at the top of a hill and wandered my way down to road towards the bay. You know the turquoise blue seas they talk about in books? Cape Greco was just like that. Rocky outcrops to scramble over to look out at the sparkling ocean. Pleasure boats floated in the shallows with people jumping in for a quick swim to escape the scorching heat. Very beautiful.


On my way back up to the bus, I took a side road which took me past a natural land bridge and a tiny blue and white church that looked like it had been plucked right out of Mamma Mia.

I got off the bus early to walk through the Sculpture Garden. Here were hundreds of white stone sculptures from all around the globe, there seemingly just for me as the only visitor. Minotaurs, humans, hippos, and angels looked out towards the sea. Next to the sculpture garden was a large cactus garden, again completely deserted except for me. I assumed that most of the visitors to Ayia Napa came mostly for the beautiful beaches, but I appreciated that they also had cultural elements like this to enjoy too.


I carried on down to a large land bridge called the Love Bridge from which a few adventurous swimmers were doing backflips off of. From there, a long boardwalk led down to the beach, which was undoubtedly the busiest part of Ayia Napa, and it was no surprise why, just looking at the gorgeous water. I waded into the warm water and walked peacefully along the water's edge.


The beach ended at the harbour where I stopped for a leisurely lunch at Second Cup and a much needed cold drink given the scorching temperature of the day. I only had two things left to tick off for my day in Ayia Napa - the aqueduct and the monastery. The former had a 1.3km walk which allowed you to walk alongside the path of the aqueduct for just me and the lizards baking in the sun. Rather them than me! The latter was closed, so not too much to report on that!

I walked back to the bus stop through the completely deserted town. I know for sure that the restaurants and pubs here should be packed to the rafters, so it was a shame to see only the staff inside. I pray that a vaccine for Covid comes sooner rather than later, because the tourism and hospitality industry sure is suffering from it.

One more Cyprus blog to come when I return to Larnaca - make sure to stay tuned on my Twitter @CiarasCountry! Visiting Ayia Napa has gotten me in the mood to visit even more beautiful beaches - what's the most beautiful beach you've visited? I'd love to know - drop me a message in the comments below! Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment