Saturday 7 March 2020

Travel: HONOLULU, HAWAII (Part 2) - exploring Waikiki

*Check out Part 1 of my Hawaii series here*

The following day was all about exploring Waikiki, so I spent the morning wandering up its expansive Main Street, most of which is filled with shops I didn’t have the faintest chance of affording, but I enjoyed window-shopping the designer clothes and jewellery anyway. A girl can dream, right? Indeed, most of my shopping ended up coming from the numerous ABC Stores that line every corner, convenience stores where you can get everything from food and drink to souvenirs.

In the afternoon, I’d booked onto one of the hostel activities, an afternoon catamaran tour for $40. We were picked up from the hostel and driven down to the waterfront where we boarded a catamaran and head out to sea. As we cruised, we had great views of Waikiki from a different angle than one would get from walking along the streets. After a while, we stopped and were given free rein to snorkel, or use the provided ocean trampoline, stand up paddleboards or kayaks.

There was a green sea turtle swimming around our boat, so I immediately chucked on a snorkel and jumped in to follow it (at a safe distance of course!), hovering at the surface of the water as the turtle dived and watching it munch on delicious sea floor for a while. This was a really special experience as they aren’t the most common of creatures and once they dive, are pretty impossible to find, unless you catch them in the act, like I had.

Having admired the turtle for long enough, I headed back to the boat and hauled a kayak into the ocean where I spent a while cruising the high seas and being glad that I hadn’t opted to take a SUP out instead as it would have been near impossible to stand up with the shallow waves that rolled across the ocean.

All that activity had worn me out, and so I spent the rest of the afternoon draipsed across the ocean trampoline, chatting and laughing with some of the girls from the hostel. I thought such a trip was a great idea, as it gave us the opportunity to immediately get to know people in our hostel, something which isn’t always the easiest thing to do. This made such a difference to the rest of my time in Hawaii, and definitely added to my enjoyment.

Shave ice was top of my list for things to eat in Hawaii, and I’d asked at reception earlier that day where was best to go. She had suggested a spot in downtown that served superb shave ice, but in portions large enough you’d need someone to share with. Lucky for me, the catamaran tour had found me a friend I could share with, and so we headed off to Ice Monster.

Outside the store, a member of staff sat with a ‘spin the wheel’ to win various toppings or money off your ice. Being so very lucky, I of course didn’t win anything, but my friend did, meaning we’d be able to top our ice with boba. What’s more, is that we were permitted to try as many flavours as we wanted, which of course we did, before settling on mango.

What an excellent decision, as we were presented with a mountain of delicious mango ice served with fresh mango, panacotta, and mango sorbet. What’s special about Ice Monster’s shave ice is that it’s silky smooth, and I loved every bite. Definitely recommend. Suitably fed, it was about time for my nightly occurrence of watching the sunset. What a perfect way to end the day. It looked like my time in Hawaii was on the way up. 

I hope you enjoyed today's blog! There's more Hawaii blogs to come, so make sure to stay tuned to my Twitter @CiarasCountry and feel free to drop me a message in the comments for any recommendations of where I should visit next!

No comments:

Post a Comment