Tuesday 26 March 2019

Concert Review: JOHN MAYER, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Australia


*scroll down for a full photo gallery of the event!*

Hopefully by now, you’ve gathered that I’m a pretty big fan of music, so when I say that an artist is amongst my favourites, you should know that I think they’re really rather good. This is how I feel about John Mayer, whose music I got into as a result of Disney Pixar’s Cars soundtrack (weird, I know), and have loved ever since. Part of the reason I moved to Australia early was to see Mayer perform at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on his world tour, so there’s that too.

The BEC is a smaller arena-type venue than I’m used to, with a capacity of 13,500, which was quite nice as you could hear everyone, from the fans screaming ‘I love you, John!’ to the whole audience singing along to the words; as well as meaning that no-one was particularly ‘far’ away from the stage as you would be in some bigger venues where the artist looks little bigger than an ant.

John and his band walked onto the fairly basic stage, with just rugs lining the floor and two screens either side projecting his image to those further back, and immediately began with an extended guitar solo, showing us that he really is more of a guitarist than a singer. We began with Belief before ‘Brisbane, are you ready to get down this evening?’ The resultant cheers promised a resounding yes.

Guitar solos between each song became somewhat of a staple, John jamming away impressively before leading into the recognisable opening chords to each of his songs, the crowd cheering as they realised what he was about to play. We moved on through Moving On And Getting Over and Who Says before my favourite song of his, Why Georgia. This is one of the songs he had not played the last time I saw him (you can read my review of thatgig here) so I was thrilled to have heard it now.

His fingers danced across the guitar strings as he soloed during I Don’t Trust Myself, leading me to write down the bold statement that I consider him the best guitarist that I know of. As well as his guitar playing, another highlight was his adorably cute dancing as he shuffled around the stage during Speak For Me and In The Blood. This was a concert where there wasn’t much to catch the eye aside from the artist themselves, with no background video or choreography, so even this little movement was fun to watch, and terribly endearing through.

Playing live allowed John to add distinctive flares, whether that be vocally or on guitar, to each of his songs that he hadn’t been able to put on the album, as well as extend each track with a totally impressive guitar ending that wouldn’t have fit in a three and a half minute track. I felt like we were getting the best of John in that he sounded exactly like his records, and more, with all of these added elements.

He swapped guitars during Helpless and Changing, showing he knows exactly what type of guitar fits best with each song, the different sounds differentiating the styles of music and indeed the different eras of his career. We finished ‘Act 1’ with Vultures, highlighting John’s falsetto, before taking a short interval.

We returned at 9pm, John being the only one to head back onto the stage for his solo acoustic set. He prefaced his first song by saying that it was and is a polarising song for fans, and one that he had never meant to be cheesy but just highlighted who he was at twenty-one and what he thought made for a great song then. I knew immediately that it would be Your Body Is A Wonderland, a song I actually enjoy, and which became more enjoyable as John mentioned mid-song that for amusement, he likes to pick someone in the crowd he thinks likes YBIAW the least, and make unrelenting eye contact with them as he sings.

He continued with the least known song in his catalogue, Go Easy On Me, which I hadn’t heard before but really enjoyed. Apparently it was released on his 2012 EP, but would have fit perfectly on the Born And Raised album – give this song a listen, as it’s one I’ll definitely be listening to a lot more after this.

Throughout the gig, as well as the occasional ‘I’d die for you, John!’ I’d also heard fans chanting ‘Neon! Neon!’ so we were gifted this track next, the crowd singing back at the top of their lungs, clearly a favourite for them. Next was another favourite of mine, John’s cover of Tom Petty’s Free Fallin’, which truly is a masterpiece, and again a song he hadn’t played the last time I saw him so a definite tick-box for me.

The band returned for Waiting On The World To Change, with its incredibly ‘woke’ lyrics that seem more relevant now than ever – take a look at: ‘Now we see everything that’s going wrong / With the world and those who lead it / We just feel like we don’t have the means / To rise above and beat it’ and ‘Now if we had the power / To bring our neighbours home from war / They would have never missed a Christmas / No more ribbons on the door / And when you trust your television / What you get is what you got / Cause when they own the information, oh / They can bend it all they want’ Hardly the stuff you’d find in your everyday pop song.

John took a moment to explain that he lives in Montana when he’s not touring, and that there’s a bar there called The Murray Bar, which ‘has a jukebox that not’s f-ing around when it comes to music – there’s nothing that’s not cool in that jukebox. I’m not in it. But I wrote a song that I hope will be considered cool enough to be in it’. This song is Roll It On Home with its part-country, part-blues, part-whatever you want it to be vibes.

We headed into the ‘put your phone lights up’ part of the slow with Dreaming With A Broken Heart (I’m not crying, you’re crying) before talking about a song he wrote nine years ago without knowing how applicable it would be now. He started with a super sweet cover of Pete Townshend’s Let My Love Open The Door before moving into The Age Of Worry. Then the real tearjerker arrived with Slow Dancing In A Burning Room, one of the greatest songs ever written and one that I think would make the perfect wedding song – you know, if not for the lyrics. Hearing it live was just truly surreal.

We headed into the Paradise Valley era with Paper Doll, the song rumoured to have been written about ex-girlfriend Taylor Swift who had her own song about John (Dear John) – amazing how much you can cryptically say in a song. We had a brief interlude into Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, the guitar interludes becoming significantly longer than the songs before ending with Dear Marie, which really is a great gig-ender with its anthem-worthy ‘oh, oh’s.

Fear not, the gig was not completely over, and John and the band returned for a sneak peek into the next era of John Mayer, first playing I Guess I Just Feel Like before ending on New Light, complete with the cutest dancing your eyes have ever seen. Seeing just that would have made going to the gig completely worth it. I think this is the song that exemplifies John to a T, as the adorable and dorky, and yet completely the opposite at the same time, man that he is (just watch the New Light music video to see what I mean).

Every John Mayer is a completely different kettle of fish because he changes the setlist for each show. This is both incredibly cool – he literally has to remember every song in his catalogue and play different ones each and every night – but can mean missing out on your favourites too. Thus was the case with the last time I saw him, and less so with this one (Why Georgia and Free Fallin’ are definitely my top two). Even compared with his previous show in Auckland, NZ, I was admittedly a little jealous that they got songs like Something Like Olivia, XO, Daughters, Love On The Weekend and Still Feel Like Your Man. But hey, I guess that’s even more reason to see him on his next tour so that by some point I’ll have heard every song in his catalogue. 

I hope you enjoyed today's review - feel free to drop me a message in the comments below and make sure to follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry to stay up to date on all upcoming reviews and interviews! Thansks for reading! 

Gallery




 

No comments:

Post a Comment