Monday 5 November 2018

Concert Review: OLD DOMINION, O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire, London


I go to a lot of concerts, so you should trust me when I tell you that one of them’s good. Spoiler alert: Old Dominion’s Happy Ending Tour was. The venue was the O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire, which I always like as it feels intimate and yet a decent enough size for worthy bands to play in.

I was impressed with the lineup of the gig too, with not one but two opening acts who you’re pretty certain to know if you’re a country fan. We began with Eric Paslay. Eric looks to me like a bit of an introvert with his busy beard and cap pulled low, which would make sense as he spent many years of his career writing for other artists before charting out on his own.

We got to hear both songs recorded by him and those he had written for other artists, including Never Really Wanted, Jake Owen’s Barefoot Blue Jean Night. He asked the audience what songs we wanted to hear before playing She Don’t Love You and Eli Young Band’s Grammy nominated Even If It Breaks Your Heart (a song and a half if ever I’ve heard one!), putting his full power into it. We finished with his biggest hit to date, Friday Night which had everyone bopping along happily.

Next up was Walker Hayes, who I think can be touted as the Marmite of country music – you either love him or hate him. He certainly has his own unique style, as immediately became apparent by the techno strobe lights and expletive filled backing song announcing his arrival.

Walker seems considerably younger than he is, talking about swag and sporting a shirt with the slogan ‘No I Ain’t Drunk, I’m Amazing’ (which I later discovered was his merch), and I think his music is tailored towards perhaps a younger audience too.

Throughout the set, he made his way through songs off last years album boom. such as Prescriptions, Break The Internet and Beautiful. In comparison to Eric Paslay’s well-thought out lyrics, choruses such as “I said baby, why do you have to be so beautiful (x2)” seemed a bit of a disappointment.

We moved on to Mind Candy (more lyrics like “Mind candy, sideline candy, pretty post game dose with a lime candy, little piece of why school was high, make a pop rock, wanna be my Valentine candy, sublime candy” – no, I don’t understand them either), new single 90s Country, for which he had done significant research on songs of that era, and Halloween which he said was “about as deep as I go.” Take from that what you will.

We finished with his platinum hit You Broke Up With Me and a song dedicated to Kenny Chesney entitled Shut Up Kenny (I’m not sure I’d be too happy with that were I Kenny Chesney). In case you hadn’t guessed, Walker Hayes is not quite my cup of tea but if you’re looking for country’s answer to Eminem, he may just be your guy.

And then onto the main event, as the five-piece band took to the stage to as warm a response as they deserved, cheers filling up the concert hall. We kicked off with Song For Another Time, and within thirty seconds, OD had already got the crowd to wave their arms from side to side to the music. Every song was expertly linked to one another as we flowed seamlessly into Wrong Turns and then Beer Can In A Truck Bed to create the most coherent set I think I’ve ever seen.

Song after song, the band members switched places on stage so that they all got their chance to be at the front (bar drummer Whit Sellers who arguably couldn’t move) which I thought was really nice. We moved onto more recent songs like Not Everything’s About You, Be With Me and Written In The Sand – I loved how recognisable the opening chords to each song were so you knew immediately what was coming and be ready to sing along from the very first word.

This was followed by the masterpiece that is Said Nobody (songwriting at its finest in this plot-twist song) and sultry Hotel Key. I found myself thinking that this was the most fun I’d had in a long time and I’m sure many of my fellow concert goers felt the same.

We headed onto another of my favourites, Still Writing Songs About You as the band members showed off their musical skills, switching between various guitars and keyboards and of course singing at the same time. Stars In The City got a great reaction as Matthew Ramsey told us about ‘the girl who sees things differently’ who’d inspired the song, as did No Such Thing As A Broken Heart where we were encouraged to have ‘a big sing-along’ – as if we needed to be told.

Crazy, Beautiful, Sexy was followed by new single Make It Sweet from confirmed upcoming third album. This was the first time I’d heard the song and I thought there was no better place to hear it than live. This relatively ‘more country’ song was juxtaposed nicely with the uber-rocky Can’t Get You (send this to your friends if they say country is nothing like rock) as the strobe lights went wild and Matthew spun his way around stage in a frenzy like a proper rockstar.

OD weren’t afraid to take other artists songs and make them their own, offering a sweet rendition of Kenny Chesney’s Save It For A Rainy Day (no ‘Shut Up Kenny’s here) before another rocky track in the form of New York At Night, sung by guitarist Brad Tursi. As with Florida Georgia Line, I enjoy when ‘not-necessarily-lead-singers’ are given their time to shine, and the crowd loved it, giving Brad one of the biggest cheers of the night.

Nowhere Fast and Break Up With Him ended the main set but thankfully OD weren’t going to leave us high and dry, returning to the stage for a decent three more songs. First was So You Go, another example of lyrical genius and multiple uses of the titular words, before another treat – new song Smooth Sailing. OD haven’t disappointed with albums yet and I don’t think they’ll do so with the next one either. We finished with karaoke favourite Snapback, with whoops and cheers following the band of stage, and the memorable ‘Whoa-oh’ hook ringing in our ears all the way home.

I hope you enjoyed my review of Old Dominion! If you’re a fan, drop me a message with your favourite song in the comments, and make sure to follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry for even more country reviews and interviews coming soon – thanks for reading!

Gallery




 

No comments:

Post a Comment