Monday 8 October 2018

Top Albums of 2018 (So Far!): Part 3


I love discovering new music, and with streaming services, festivals and social media, it’s now easier than ever to find new artists who float your boat. However, with such a plethora of music constantly being released, it’s often difficult to distinguish between the okays and the you-have-to-listen-to-this, so I’ve compiled a handy list of some of the albums I’ve enjoyed over the past few months. If you’ve not read previous iterations of this series, you can find them here and here!

Ashley Campbell – The Lonely One
Why it made the list: If you listen to the type of music I listen to (and if you don’t, this is a good place to start!), you’re probably here for the lyrics, and it’s been a long time since I feel I’ve found as good a songwriter as Ashley Campbell. Her last release before this debut album was the single Remembering in honour o her father Glen, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s at the time. This gave a great indication as to her songwriting prowess with lyrics like Bone for bone we are the same / Bones get tired and they can't carry all the weight / We can talk until you can't even remember my name / Daddy don't you worry, I'll do the remembering” The album doesn’t disappoint and is filled with heartfelt lyrics in Wish I Wanted To and A Taken Man, delicious satire in Better Boyfriend and Looks Like Time (eg “God gave you the perfect face / I guess he took it back”), and some smashing banjo playing. Well worth a listen.
Top Tracks: The Lonely One, Wish I Wanted To, Better Boyfriend 

Brothers Osborne – Port St Joe
Why it made the list: Imagine a Nashville bar atop a cruise ship making its way around the Caribbean, and that’s the vibe I get from Brothers Osborne’s latest album as they head more down Zac Brown Band’s island-country route. T.J. Osborne’s deep voice sets the duo’s music far apart from anything currently on the market in the fact that he uses it in a completely different way to other arguably similar voices like Luke Combs or Chris Stapleton, who push through with power, whilst T.J. holds back for a cooler and more chill feel. You’ll be swaying around your room to Weed, Whiskey and Willie, raising glass after glass to Tequila Again and Drank Like Hank, and making sure to carpe the diem with While You Still Can. This is a great offering from Brothers Osborne and I think the perfect thing to get you through those cold winter months when all you want to do is head off and relax somewhere sunny. Don’t mind me, just off to book a cruise.
Top Tracks: Weed Whiskey and Willie, Pushing Up Daisies, A Little Bit Trouble

Dori Freeman – Letters Never Read
Why it made the list: This comes as quite an unexpected entry on my list, given that I wouldn’t have previously described Dori’s music as up my street. If you’ve read my previous iterations of this series, you’ll see I err more towards pop/country crossover, whereas Letters Never Read is very much traditional – the best way to describe it would be like the music throughout The Coen Brothers O Brother, Where Art Thou? mixed with a bit of Lana Del Ray. And somehow, I can’t stop listening to it. You’ve got the more trad Appalachian mountain tunes like Yonder Comes a Sucker and Over There, as well as the more modern sounding Just Say It Now and Turtle Dove. It’s effortlessly beautiful, perfect for when you’re home alone and just want something to chill to. I’m hoping you’ll listen to this and let me know what you think!
Top Tracks: Lovers on the Run, If I Could Make You My Own, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

Dan + Shay – Dan + Shay
Why it made the list: What is it with artists choosing self-titled albums? I feel almost as if there’s more pressure when they do this, suggesting that this album wholly exemplifies who they are. Dan + Shay return with their third album with plenty more sexy and romantic songs which Shay Mooney’s voice lends itself all to well at. In fact, I’m pretty sure all of the songs on this album are love songs, perhaps due to the fact that both members of the duo got married last year, no doubt giving great fodder for songs like Speechless, detailing how they felt upon seeing their future wives at the end of the aisle. Most of the tracks are ballads with a few more poppy songs like Make or Break and Stupid Love thrown in for good measure, maybe even veering a bit into RnB with No Such Thing. This is an album I’ll listen to into the ground, and maybe a bit beyond…
Top Tracks: Make or Break, What Keeps You Up at Night, Tequila

I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s list, and do let me know if you’ve listened to any of the albums I’ve recommended or if there were any you think I’ve missed off – let me know by dropping me a note on Twitter @CiarasCountry or in the comments below. I’ll be back in a few months with an updated version – hopefully we’ll have some Christmas music up there along with some new albums from new and old favourites alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment