Tuesday 10 July 2018

Top Albums of 2018 (So Far!): Part 2


Time flies when you’re listening to good music, and here we are again for the second instalment of my Top Albums of 2018! As someone who listens to music a lot (as you may have gathered from this blog) I find I often fall into a sense of ennui when sticking my iPhone onto shuffle, so a new batch of music is always more than welcome to spice things up, and the last three months have certainly helped – read on for my picks the best albums so far!


Charlie Puth – Voicenotes
Why it made the list: I like artists about whom you can say ‘yeah, that sounds unique,’ and that’s certainly the case with Charlie Puth. I don’t know of another male artist in my living memory who has quite used their range in the same way he has. Upon first listen to Voicenotes, I had the urge to dance to almost every song. It’s certain that this is feel good music, even when it deals with sticky issues like one night stands in How Long, or dating what sounds like a considerably older woman in BOY. Admittedly there are a few songs on here that after a few listens, I’m more than happy to skip (Change and Through It All being the notable examples), but the remainder provide hit after hit that I’ll be dancing to all the way home. The only downside? Charlie’s not yet announced UK dates for his Voicenotes tour!
Top Tracks: BOY, Empty Cups, Done For Me 


Keith Urban – Graffiti U
Why it made the list: When you think country music (if indeed, you do), you probably think of those who have maintained a legacy within the genre for decades – Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw – and no doubt Keith Urban fits this bill too. Now on his umpteenth album, Graffiti U is certainly a change from the country heavy albums of his past as we veer more and more into pop territory, only differentiated by Keith’s distinctive country twang. Urban is a man made for arena shows, and this shows on the album full of party-starters (Never Comin Down), singalongs (Coming Home), and anthem ballads (Parallel Line, Female).  This album leaves something to be desired from his previous releases for me, but no doubt this crossover record has opened him up to yet more potential fans discovering what modern country is all about
Top Tracks: Drop Top, Parallel Line, Same Heart  


Sugarland – Bigger
Why it made the list: Haven’t we been waiting long enough for a new Sugarland music? Well, our wish has been granted with Bigger, and as suggested in their debut single from this album, Sugarland are here to prove they’re Still The Same. Throughout the album, and as is often the case with Sugarland work, the duo tackle deep issues with their music, this time including the #MeToo movement with notes of female empowerment woven across a number of the songs, and school shooting and suicide on Tuesday’s Rain. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Sugarland album without a bunch of fun songs too (Stuck Like Glue remaining as one of my favourites of theirs) and tracks like Lean It On Back help them keep this identity. Interestingly, the duo who normally pen their own songs, called on the help of superstar Taylor Swift and Train frontman Pat Monahan for their song about moving on from a cheater, Babe (sorry to any fans who thought it was in fact about a talking pig). Some may argue that the use of a ‘Bigger’ (pun intended) name may have just been a push for more commercial success, but it’s a good song nonetheless, and pleasant return from the duo.  
Top Tracks: Let Me Remind You, Babe, Love Me Like I’m Leaving


Dierks Bentley – The Mountain
Why it made the list: With the news that Dierks Bentley is hosting the inaugural Seven Peaks music festival held in the mountains later this summer, it should really come as no surprise that his new album is entitled The Mountain. With his gritty voice, he does sound a bit like a mountain man too, which only makes it even better! And what an album – every song has the ability to evoke all kinds of different emotions. Goodbye in Telluride makes me want to take a road trip, Woman, Amen wants me to sing at the top of my lungs, My Religion brings tears to my eyes, and the rockabilly Travelin’ Light makes me want to start two-steppin’ (not that I know how to do that). This is an album that is a love song to Arizona, Colorado and being on the road, so for a wanderlustful traveller like me, I couldn’t have asked for a better record.
Top Tracks: Woman Amen, Burning Man, Goodbye in Telluride

I hope you enjoyed my round-up of the top albums of 2018 so far! Do you agree with my list, or are their other albums you think should have been included? Let me know either in the comments below or on Twitter @CiarasCountry as I’m always keen to check out new music! Stay tuned for further additions to this series, and make sure you have a look at my suggestions from previous years, uploaded every three months to this blog. More content coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment