Monday 2 April 2018

Top Albums of 2018 (So Far!): Part 1


It feels like it’s been a relatively slow start to the year in terms of album releases, with a few of my picks for my Top Albums of 2018 just released. However, there have been some fantastic albums released over the past few months and I have a hunch that some of the records I’ve listed below will be more than a passing fad… Read on!

Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
Why it made the list: If there was one album I’ve been looking forward to for months (although it feels like years), it was undoubtedly Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour. Over the past few months we’ve been treated to single releases in the form of the pleasant Butterflies and ballad-y Space Cowboy which suggested that we had a lot to look forward to. The album certainly didn’t disappoint, and judging by the amount of times I listened to Pageant Material on repeat a few years ago, I think the same will happen with this album. We’re treated to a variety of vibey masterpieces like High Horse and Velvet Elvis with plenty of lyrically beautiful tracks like Oh, What a World and Love Is A Wild Thing. This is the kind of country music I want everyone to hear - certainly one to go down in the books.  
Top Tracks: High Horse, Slow Burn, Wonder Woman 

Ashley McBryde – Girl Going Nowhere
Why it made the list: I was pleased to log on to iTunes this morning and see Ashley McBryde’s new album up in the country charts, right where it belongs. I couldn’t have asked for a better time for this album release, having come across Ashley a few weeks ago at C2C Country 2 Country where she performed a funny and story-filled set with beautiful vocals and catchy songs. Girl Going Nowhere is packed with slow hits like A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega and Home Sweet Highway to rock tracks like Livin’ Next To Leroy and El Dorado. The album is undoubtedly exemplified in the title track in which she states “I hear the crowd / I look around / And I can’t find an empty chair / Not bad for a girl going nowhere” No doubt that will be truer than ever after this brilliant release.
Top Tracks: American Scandal, Girl Going Nowhere, A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega  

Danielle Bradbery – I Don’t Believe We’ve Met
Why it made the list: Sure, it’s only four songs long, but Mabelle gives a good indication of what we can expect from country newcomer Seth Ennis over the next few years. Having thoroughly enjoyed Seth’s debut single Woke Up In Nashville, I was interested to see what else he’d come up with. Mabelle is truly a feel-good EP filled with songs about young love (Play It Cool) and losing it (Fast Girl), each of which will have you tapping your toes along to the beat. What’s even more impressive is that Seth co-produced and played all musical parts on the album, so I’ll be interested to see how he uses this on a full-length album. Judging by Sam Hunt’s trajectory to stardom, I wouldn’t be surprised if Seth follows in his footsteps, so make sure you make yourself aware of him before he’s selling out stadiums.
Top Tracks: Woke Up In Nashville, Fast Girl, Think & Drive

Devin Dawson – Dark Horse
Why it made the list: If you haven’t yet heard Devin Dawson’s All On Me, what rock have you been living under? As an avid listener of internet country radio (sadly we don’t have a proper country radio station in the UK yet), I’d been hearing this song everywhere I turned, and my gosh, is it catchy. dDevin’s album doesn’t disappoint with other equally catchy songs like Second to Last and the poppy I Don’t Care Who Sees. There are a few more laidback and reasonably deep tracks like Symptoms and Secondhand Hurt which suggest that Devin is not just a party-anthem singer but with plenty to say about heartbreak, love, and yes, having a good time!
Top Tracks: All On Me, Asking For A Friend, Second To Last

What do you think are the top albums of 2018 so far? Would you agree with my list? Let me know by leaving a comment down below or dropping me a message on Twitter @CiarasCountry – stay tuned for further additions to this series (and check out my suggestions from previous years, also on this blog!) as well as plenty of concert reviews and interviews with your favourite artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment