Monday 3 April 2017

Press Conference: DARIUS RUCKER, C2C Country 2 Country 2017, London, The O2


Following my interview with Darius Rucker (which you can read here), I got the chance to catch up with him again at one of the C2C Press Conferences – read on to find out his thoughts on C2C over the years, starring on Eastenders, and CMT Crossroads.

Q: Over the years, C2C has grown massively – what are your thoughts on the development and progression of country music in the UK?

A: It feels great watching it grow over the years and working on my career. The thing we talk about a lot in Nashville is the explosion that’s happening over here. When we played Glasgow last night, it was just amazing to see everybody enjoying country music. People seem to be loving what we’re doing, buying our records – it’s one of those things that’s just great to hear. I was here for the first C2C, and it’s been a fun ride since then.

Q: Your performance really was sensational that first year, and a lot of the rock bands that play here, they sound like their records; and the huge thing is that your records are great of course, but your live shows are something else! Do you consciously work on making it something that is different?

A: Live music is live music – you want to play the song slightly differently to a live audience. It’s important to me to put on a show.

Q: Wikipedia says your father was once in a band called The Rolling Stones, is that correct?

A: Yes, that’s true!

Q: You’ve said that one of your acting ambitions is to be on Eastenders?

A: Yes, that’s my next career goal! My ambition is to move to London for a year and become a regular on Eastenders. I don’t mind being either a goodie or a baddie. I can be the nasty American that comes over and steals everybody’s girlfriend – I’m up for that.

Q: You have just filmed for CMT Crossroads with John Mellencamp – what was that experience like?

A: John is one of those guys that instantly back in the 80s became one of my favourite artists in the world – he influenced me so much with that guitar sound he had and how real his lyrics were. To do that Crossroads with him was unbelievable. The song I love the most was this acoustic version of Jack and Diane, because I remember how important that song was for me as a kid.

Q: So you’re from South Carolina – would you have heard country music growing up?

A: Oh absolutely, where I grew up country music was everywhere. You’d hear the likes of Kenny Rogers, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, everyone. 

Interested in reading more interviews with great artists? Make sure you follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry to be the first to know when new content is posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment