Sunday 5 March 2017

Top Albums of 2017 (So Far!): Part 1


Welcome to 2017! We’re only a quarter of the way through the year, but we’ve already been blessed with some fantastic country music. With a mixture of ‘back-to-roots’ traditional country mixed with contemporary crossover, 2017 looks to be a great year for a variety of exciting albums. Read on to find out my picks for the Top Albums of 2017 to check out so far!

Little Big Town – The Breaker
Why it made the list: I couldn’t make a list of the best albums of the first part of 2017 without including LBT’s latest album. As per usual, this album highlights Little Big Town’s stunning harmonies, whilst fitting in some beautiful instrumentals too that will have you vibing all the way through the album. I see a real progression on this album from LBT’s previous work, and think I become more of a fan of the band with every album they bring out What I like most about this album is that none of the songs sound the same – from the slowed-down tracks like Free to the head-bopping Drivin’ Around, there’s a song to suit every occasion. Although it’s only March, this is an album I’m sure I’ll be listening to all summer.
Top Tracks: The Breaker, Free, We Went To The Beach 

Lauren Alaina – Road Less Traveled
Why it made the list: I’ve been waiting far too long for some new Lauren Alaina music, and she’s finally delivered with Road Less Traveled. Moving from the sweet Georgia girl we met on first album Wildflower, Lauren has blossomed into a country-pop star who easily joins the ranks of Maren Morris and Kelsea Ballerini. This crossover gold is clear to see in songs like Road Less Traveled (co-written by Meghan Trainor) and My Kinda People; while she invokes reminders of young Carrie Underwood on songs like Queen of Hearts and Painting Pillows. It’s easy to see myself rocking out to each one of these songs the next time Lauren’s on tour.
Top Tracks: My Kinda People, Road Less Traveled, Crashin’ the Boys’ Club

Seth Ennis – Mabelle
Why it made the list: Sure, it’s only four songs long, but Mabelle gives a good indication of what we can expect from country newcomer Seth Ennis over the next few years. Having thoroughly enjoyed Seth’s debut single Woke Up In Nashville, I was interested to see what else he’d come up with. Mabelle is truly a feel-good EP filled with songs about young love (Play It Cool) and losing it (Fast Girl), each of which will have you tapping your toes along to the beat. What’s even more impressive is that Seth co-produced and played all musical parts on the album, so I’ll be interested to see how he uses this on a full-length album. Judging by Sam Hunt’s trajectory to stardom, I wouldn’t be surprised if Seth follows in his footsteps, so make sure you make yourself aware of him before he’s selling out stadiums.
Top Tracks: Woke Up In Nashville, Fast Girl, Think & Drive

Aaron Watson – Vaquero
Why it made the list: Aaron Watson brings back a bit of cowboy country with Vaquero, reminding us where the genres roots lie as evident in songs like These Old Boots Have Roots. I’ll admit that I was surprised to find out that this marks Watson’s 13th album having been unfamiliar with his music, but was thrilled to see that he’s an independent artist, showing hard work and dedication is enough to make it big in the music industry. This album is full of love stories – those for his wife (Run Wild Horses), his daughters (Diamonds and Daughters), and where you come from (Big Love in a Small Town), highlighting Watson’s beautiful storytelling ability. You’d be forgiven for thinking it was Dierks Bentley singing, as they have the same raw, gritty vocal style; but Watson stands out to me by staying true to his background, and making me jealous of the American small town lifestyle I never got to experience!
Top Tracks: Run Wild Horses, Clear Isabel, Take You Home Tonight

Do you agree with my list? What albums are you most looking forward to hearing in 2017? Let me know by commenting below, and make sure to follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry to stay up to date with future additions to my Top Albums series, as well as reviews and interviews from your favourite artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment