Tuesday 13 December 2016

Interview: AMERICAN YOUNG, Nashville Meets London

I met up with Nashville based duo American Young to talk London and Nashville as sister cities, motorcycle crashes, and living with Eric Church and Chris Stapleton. Read on to find out more!

Ciara’s Country (CC): I’m here with Kristy and Jon from American Young after their set at the Nashville Meets London festival in Canary Wharf. First of all, thank you so much for joining me tonight!

Jon Stone (JS): Thank you for having us!

CC: How are things going for the two of you this year?

Kristy Osmunson (KO): Well this is definitely one of my favourite shows that I’ve ever played. Jon, can I speak for you on that too?

JS: Yeah, it’s been really great. You know, over here there’s a lot of great listeners and people like great songs so it’s great to be a part of it.

CC: So the name American Young – how did that come about?

KO: I’d written a song called Young in America and we were listening to it and Jon turned it off and said ‘man, American Young, that would be a great name for a band’, and it was this crazy moment because I was like ‘well there’s no way we could get that name’, and I googled the dot com and it was available. I was like ‘this might be divine intervention – we’ve got to take it, that’s a great name for a band!’ and I feel like it’s so representative of where country music is going, so we’re very lucky to be a part of this whole industry, it’s very humbling.

CC: Especially, having a name like that that’s so easy to remember I reckon people tonight are bound to go away and Google you now!

KO: I hope people buy at least five or six records!

CC: I’m sure they will! So this is the Nashville Meets London festival and you guys are based in Nashville - how do you think playing in London compared to playing over there?

KO: Well they drink just as much over here!

JS: We don’t really play all that much in Nashville, Nashville’s sort of an outsourcing town, that’s where the business of country really lives. We’re actually from the North West – she’s from Idaho and I’m from Oregon, but if you want to be in country music you’ve got to move to Nashville.

CC: And what do you think of London?

JS: London’s wonderful!

KO: I feel like London and Nashville are sister cities. I really feel like there’s so much similarity between the heritage music – like when we were at C2C and at this festival, there are all these UK bands that are absolutely as country that you could possibly get, and they’re telling the stories that are true to the people – they’re representing the plight of the working man, they’re telling stories of love and loss and all the greatness that makes up what we consider the heritage of country music. I really think that there’s an amazing combination and culmination of what is about to happen with the UK country music scene. I think it’s about to go global.

CC: In terms of your storytelling aspects of songs, how have you drawn on your background to help you with that?

KO: So the first gig that we ever played as the two of us was at The Bluebird CafĂ©, and Jon had just fallen off his motorcycle and so he was covered in bandages, and we walked in the room and we told that story, and we started telling stories of the songs that we’d written and it just became like a natural dialogue – it’s kind of what we do, you know? We just write true to life experiences, and try to capture them in three minutes on tape.

CC: As well as being songwriters, you’re also very accomplished musicians – we saw you playing the guitar and fiddle on stage for example. Which came first for you, the singing or the instruments?

KO: For me it was singing when I was little, but I started playing when I was about four.

JS: I was a guitar player first for years and years. Singing became a part of my writing because I needed somebody to sing my words.

CC: And you’ve written a lot for other artists too – how does that compare from writing for yourselves?

JS: There’s no difference at all. Great songs are great songs, no matter where they come from.

CC: So in terms of the country music genre as a whole, is there one artist out there who you think is really underrepresented and deserves more recognition?

KO: Yola Carter, I think she’s great.

JS: There’s a lot of great artists out there, and it’s just a matter of staying true to who you are as an artist and then your day will come. We’ve seen that with Maren Morris, and Kelsea Ballerini, and Cam and Chris Stapleton and artists like that.

KO: Jon and Chris were roommates for four years.

CC: Really?

KO: Yeah, and also Eric Church. Jon gave Eric Church his first job in Nashville, so they’ve been friends for a long time and they’re so supportive. We have a really incredible community of family, musicians and writers.

CC: I’ll bet there’s some amazing stories to tell there!

KO: When we were at C2C we went backstage and met Chris Stapleton, and he was like ‘yeah, when I met Jon Stone, he used to keep alligator in the freezer.’ (laughs)

CC: Wow, that’s certainly something different! And my final question for you tonight is what’s one question you wish you were asked in interviews but never are?

KO: Now that is a great question, and that I’ve never been asked! Wow, that’s going to make me think here for a second.

JS: How about ‘what can I buy you for dinner?’ ‘What do you drink?’

KO: You know, wow, that’s a really good question. I would say what is our purpose as a songwriter, and I’d say when you know the purpose of why an artist is doing what they’re doing, it’s really enlightening and it’s very important.

CC: And what’s that purpose for American Young?

KO: You know, I think it’s just to spread a little love and intellect. There’s lots of ways to look at things, there’s lots of ways to approach and interpret things.

JS: I’d say to be on the evolving side of evolution (laughs)

KO: There you go!

CC: Well thank you for taking the time to chat with me tonight, and thank you for a great show!

KO & JS: Thank you!   

Thanks to Kristy and Jon for your time – if you’d like to keep up with more things Ciara’s Country and American Young, check us out on Twitter at @CiarasCountry and @American_Young

No comments:

Post a Comment