Tuesday 4 October 2016

Interview: ANDREW COMBS, Under the Apple Tree Roots Festival, London


Singer-songwriter Andrew Combs was kind enough to join me after his set at Bob Harris' Under the Apple Tree Roots Festival in London - read on below to find out his thoughts on getting married, playing for UK audiences, and the best kind of songs to write:
 
Ciara’s Country (CC): First of all Andrew, thank you so much for joining me!

Andrew Combs (AC): Yeah, thanks for having me!

CC: My first question for you tonight is how is your year going so far?

AC: It’s been great. It feels like a whirlwind – I’ve been touring a lot, I just got done recording a record, I’m getting married in two weeks, we just bought a house, so this year has gone very fast.

CC: Sounds like you’ve been extremely busy! Has there been a highlight of the year so far?

AC: Well, it would be wrong of me to say that getting married wouldn’t be the highlight, but so far I’ve loved recording and writing and the creative process with the music business. It was great to get back in the studio, I really enjoyed that so maybe that.

CC: And you’re touring here at the moment, and I’d say that this year you seem to have really broken into the UK market with your headline slot at C2C your tour, and now the Under The Apple Tree Festival. How would you say that playing to British audiences compares to what you’re used to back home?

AC: It’s just a different experience. Here they’re more respectful and quiet which pays off and is really nice – especially this tour when I’m doing solo shows, so having a quiet audience is always nice. They’re really responsive of what I do and the whole kind of country roots Americana thing – whatever you want to call it – they just kind of eat it up over here and I’m glad to come over and play it for them. It’s always a good time. It’s like a vacation.

CC: Yeah, it seemed like you had a great reception out there today! I think one of the things we really love in particular about country and Americana is that a lot of the songs often tell stories, and a lot of country music draws on the backgrounds of their singers and writers – are there ways in which you’ve used your background to influence your music?

AC: Well to be honest, there’s always a piece of my songs that are me, but I tend to write on stories from other people are draw inspiration from literature and films. You know, I grew up in a White middle class family in America, you know, I didn’t go through hardships, I had shoes on my feet and a roof over my head. As I’ve grown older, obviously you acquire more stories to tell so those have made it into my work, but I don’t have a coalminers daughter kind of thing going on, that’s just not me. I write what I know.

CC: And once you’ve got that kind of story, how do you turn it into a song?

AC: Ah, it depends. I don’t really have a formula to how I write – sometimes it comes with words first, sometime music, sometimes it’s a title. It’s different every time.

CC: Is there one of your songs which you think has been the most interesting to write so far?

AC: Well, the best songs usually come really fast, and the song that’s been really good to me is Too Stoned To Cry. I mean, it got me my record deal, but it was a song that barely no one wanted to cut because it was too far on the fringe, but everyone out there really liked it after, so it got me in a few doors which was nice! I’ve been writing a lot by myself recently, so I just kind of get in the zone, go out and get a coffee and go for it. Interesting-wise, I guess ones that come out, like Too Stoned To Cry that are almost vomited out so fast you don’t even realise what’s just happened. Those are the most fun to write, but other times it can take me like a year to finish a song.

CC: What kinds of things can we expect on the upcoming album?

AC: Less country, actually. I mean there are definitely still elements of it, I can’t naturally stray away from folk and country music, it’s just part of what I love, so there are definitely elements of that. But I’m trying to stretch myself musically and lyrically – I just don’t want to make the same record twice, so this is just me exploring different musical inspirations and elements, and a different band, different studio. I just needed something new.

CC: Do you know what direction you’re heading in then?

AC: Well who knows? It’s always changing. I’d literally just finished recording – we hadn’t even mixed it, and I was already thinking about the next record. I’m always thinking of making like drugged out rock and roll, but that could change tomorrow.

CC: So in terms of like the country Americana genre as a whole, is there one artist out there who you think is really underrepresented and deserves more recognition?

AC: Yeah, I’m sure there’s a million of them. You know, I don’t listen to a whole lot of this world besides my friends, and when they’re you’re friends you’re a little bit biased, but my buddy Erin Rae whose on a record label over here called Clubhouse, she’ll be touring here soon and I think she’s totally great. Her voice is so simple but angelic, there’s nothing fancy about it but that’s what makes it amazing, and her songs are amazing. I also like the new Daniel Romano record, I like a lot of the stuff – I’m friends with Caitlin Rose, Margo Price, I think they’re both great. I mainly keep my head down and stay focused – I don’t really get involved in the cliques.

CC: Hopefully with events like this we’ll be seeing more of them come over here more often. So as we draw the interview to a close, is there one question you wish you were asked in interviews but never are?

AC: Haha no, I just wish that no-one, and thankfully you didn’t which is good, asked me what my influences were. There’s so many ways to ask that in a different fashion, or different angles, and just coming out and being like ‘so, what are your influences?’ is the worst. It just happens all the time which is probably why I don’t like it so much! I like talking about stuff that’s not music, so that’s always what I wish an interview would veer towards, but I understand that y’all have a job to do.

CC: It certainly seems like you’ve got a lot going on in your life aside from music.

AC: Yeah it’s gonna be crazy when I get back home – I have Americanafest, then I have my bachelor party, and then I get married, and then we go on a six week honeymoon which is going to be great. We’re just going to chill out in a cabin in Northern Minnesota, read and write, and bring the dogs along. It’s going to be cool.

CC: Sounds awesome!

AC: Yeah I’m looking forward to it. It’ll be a much needed break.

CC: Lovely! Well thank you so much for answering my questions tonight, and best of luck with the wedding!

AC: Thank you!

Did you enjoy this interview? Let me know by dropping me a message on Twitter @CiarasCountry, and stay tuned for more interviews coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment