Sunday 4 September 2016

Interview: PAUPER KINGS, Nashville Meets London

Carving the way for UK country-rock crossover, Pauper Kings are on a roll with 2016 being their biggest year yet. I caught up with them after their set at Nashville Meets London for an interview – find out their thoughts on Nashville, Phillip from Little Big Town, and what they’d do with a billion dollars…

Ciara’s Country (CC): I’m here with Tim, Jack and Nick from Pauper Kings after their set at the Nashville Meets London festival in Canary Wharf. So to start off guys, thanks for joining me!

Jack Bird (JB): No problem!

CC: My first question for you is how is your year going so far?

JB: Pretty good!

Tim McKay (TM): It’s been great! We did the Brett Eldredge tour, did some shows with Carrie Underwood, then we went to Nashville, and now we’re here at Nashville Meets London. It’s been great so far. Really busy, but good!

JB: I was going to say we’ve been to Nashville but we’ve said that loads so far!

Nick Miller (NM): I’ll say it again! Did we mention we went to Nashville?

CC: Well I mean that’s the goal for country music artists!

JB: Absolutely, we’ve made it now, we’ve scored!

TM: Yeah, we’re going to quit now.

CC: I don’t think everybody out there would be very happy if you did that!

JB: Ah, you’re too kind! Maybe about forty people out there might be a bit sad.

CC: I’d say maybe a few more than forty! Well it sounds like you’ve definitely had a few amazing experiences over the last few years – do you guys have a highlight?

NM: We’ve been to Nashville!

JB: I reckon for me, I really loved watching backstage at the Ole Opry and then meeting Phillip from Little Big Town – he was a total legend.

TM: Basically we played backstage at the Opry for like a live stream and that was pretty cool.

JB: Yeah, it was basically me and the legend Phillip. He’s just a really funny man, really nice. I mean, Henry, my brother, likes him more than I do, and I like him loads, so imagine how much Henry likes him!

TM: I think live-wise for me is getting to play with Carrie Underwood, to share the stage with her was pretty good.

JB: I mean we weren’t on the stage at the same time as Carrie, were we Tim? But we did meet her afterwards, and she was lovely. Yeah, for all those out there thinking we did a duet with Carrie Underwood, sorry to disappoint! That would’ve been cool though.

CC: Sounds fun nonetheless! So in terms of your musical style, you’ve been praised for influencing your country style with rock, do you think those two genres mix well together?

JB: Yeah absolutely, I think the modern day country is sort of forming into that anyway.

NM: Yeah I think it goes back to sort of my roots as well, because when I started I was playing almost soft rock and I’ve done all kinds of different genres since then, but it always comes back to this. It’s a balance between everything I think because it’s got the harmonies, the melody, but still that rocky edge as well.

JB: I always thought it was a bit like soft rock. Like you know Bryan Adams, he’s not country but it’s a bit of that vibe.

CC: So I take it you like the direction the genre is going?

TM: Yeah, for us it fits with the direction we want to go. I mean obviously we respect the more traditional side of things as that’s where it all started, but for us the modern day crossover stuff is where it’s at.

CC: And would you say there’s one artist out there you think is really underrated and people should be listening to?

TM: Well for me I think the most underrated vocal on a guy is Shay Mooney from
Dan & Shay. Have you listened to his actual voice? It is amazing.

NM: I’d say other underrated singers – Elvis, Dolly.

JB: Yeah, cause they didn’t do very well, did they?

NM: The Beatles.

JB: You know who else I was going to say? Michael Jackson.

CC: Alright then! And finally, what’s the one question you wish you were asked in interviews but never are?

NM: Have I been to Nashville?

JB: I’ve got one – can we give you like a billion dollars?

CC: That’s a very good question.

NM: Yeah! And what would you do with it? Ask it!

CC: Okay then, what would you do with a billion dollars?

JB: It has to be a billion, not a million. That’s not as good. Not interested. But with a billion, what I’d do with it is buy Little Big Town, and I’d have Phillip – he’d be my mate. People would be like ‘I want to listen to Little Big Town’ and I’d be like ‘No you can’t, they’re my band!’ They’d be my little friends. I’d probably buy Jay DeMarcus as well. He’d be my mate as well.

TM: Cause he’s not currently your mate.

JB: And then I’d pay Jay DeMarcus to fight Phillip. Actually, if you gave me a billion pounds I’d just be the king. That’s it. I’d be the king.  

NM: Things have got a bit chaotic now, haven’t they?

CC: And with that we’ll leave it there! Thank you very much to the Pauper Kings for taking the time to talk to me, and enjoy the rest of the show! 

Thanks to Pauper Kings for chatting to me – you can keep up to date with all things Pauper Kings by checking out @CiarasCountry and @PauperKings on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment