Monday 20 May 2019

TRAVEL: Fraser Island Camping, Queensland, Australia


Noosa is certainly one of the most beautiful places in the world to live, but to say that it has a lot going on would not be the truth. Having lived here for a month and a half now, I feel like I’ve pretty much seen the best of what the town has to offer, and it was about time for me to venture further afield.

The most enticing option in the surrounding areas is definitely Fraser Island, so after a bit of research, I opted for Sunrover’s 2 Day 1 Night camping trip, firstly because it fit nicely into my schedule being just a weekend trip, and secondly because the whole tour was guided, and no way in hell was I going to do a self-drive tour (Me, in a car, on foreign lands? No thank you…)

Bright and early on Saturday morning, I headed down to the Visitor Information Centre on Hastings Street to be collected. Our guide for the two days, Mick, walked us over to the van which was to be our home for the next two days. On first glance, it looked a bit like prison transport – eight seats facing each other in the back of a van that seemed to have seen better days. But hey, this was all part of the experience, so I hopped right in alongside my travel mates – two Americans, two Swedes, and a French girl.

We set off, driving through Tewantin and onto the ferry which took us across to Noosa North Shore. Almost immediately, we began driving on the beach, which was super fun. The beach here acts like a road, so you obey the same road rules, meaning we were tearing down the beach at highway type speeds, dodging in and out of the waves as they rolled in. I thought this was all part of the fun, but realise now that staying so close to the waves meant staying on the most compacted sand, ergo the safest to drive on. The more you know!

About an hour and a half later, we arrived in Rainbow Beach where we had fifteen minutes to grab something to eat and admire the beautiful scenery. If I thought this was nice, I didn’t know anything yet. Connecting with another car which was bringing other adventurers up from Brisbane, we carried on until we got to Inskip Point, where the ferry would cart us across to Fraser Island. There wasn’t much talking throughout the drive, but Mick gave us a Bluetooth speaker to blast whatever we wanted as loud as we wanted, and the excellent music selection coupled with the stunning beaches we drove along made for a very enjoyable ride.

Waiting a short while at Inskip, we joined other cars for the short ferry ride across, and then the island was ours. Vast swathes of beach, sun and blue skies to cruise along. We drove first to our campsite for a quick sandwich. The campsite was actually better than I had anticipated, with fairly large tents and a good covered cooking area. Hypothetically, I should have been sharing a tent with another of the adventurers, but we had enough tents to have them individually if we wanted to – even if mine didn’t come with a mosquito net, but this didn’t turn out to be a problem.
 
Fed and watered, we jumped back in the car to head further up the coast, passing a dingo en route (oooh) before turning in to Wabby Lake. Reaching the lake itself involved a forty minute walk through the forest, and then down a very steep sand dune to reach the hidden lake itself. The sun was shining, so we headed in for a nice warm dip, only to discover the water was pretty freezing. Nonetheless, who knew if I’d ever return to Fraser (I hope I will!) so I jumped straight in.

A short while later, we soaked up the sun on the sand before making the trek back through the forest to the car. We continued along up the coast, tearing past slower 4 wheel drives and up to the Maheno Shipwreck. This cruise liner has been resting at this spot since the 1940s and photos don’t do the size of it justice. It was really impressive to see up close, and I wondered what would be left of it in a couple of decades time.

Two minutes away lay Eli Creek, one of the largest of the creeks that we had splashed through throughout the day. It has basically turned into a lazy river now, meaning you can float your way right down to the sea. Somehow this was even colder than Lake Wabby had been, but you can’t say no to an experience like this, so I braved hypothermia and pushed my way down the creek. Technically you could’ve just walked along it too, but where’s the fun in that?

By the time we were finished at Eli Creek, the sun was beginning to set, casting beautiful colours in the clouds and over the ocean. We raced back along the beach, but evidently more carefully than others, passing an overturned 4WD which had flipped onto its roof thanks to some unstable sand. With the tide approaching at quickly, this is the last position you’d want to be in. We even had a bit of a hairy situation ourselves, getting briefly caught in a bay as the water rushed in, but thankfully Mick knew what he was doing and got us safely out.

We reached the campsite as the heavens opened and took the last remaining glimpse of light to set up our tents with sleeping bags. With nothing better to do, I then went to watch the meal prep for dinner, before chowing down on yummy burgers and hot dogs. I headed off to play cards with my new American pals before we caught wind that a campfire had somehow been built in spite of the wet weather, so of course had to head outside to roast marshmallows over the fire and stare up at the stars before the rain came down again.

The following morning was definitely the earliest of any during my time in Australia, arising at 6am to walk down to the beach and watch the sunrise. This really was something quite special though and I was so glad I’d woken up early to see it, sitting in silence on the beach as the rays began to shine through.

Back at camp, we had a yummy breakfast of pancakes before hopping back into our beloved prison car to head into the centre of the island. Unlike the beaches, whose sand was flattened every day by the sea, the ground here was super uneven, making for a very, very bumpy ride, which at times felt like we were on a Disneyland simulator. Again though, great tunes and an appreciation for life made me think that there was nowhere else I’d rather be.

Thoroughly shaken and stirred, we arrived at the Central Station rainforest which, given all the scenery we’d seen prior, seemed quite out of place on the island. We wandered off for a walk through the tall Satinay trees, making it back to the car just in time for the rain to start again.

A short drive made longer by the bumpy road later, and we arrived at the beautiful Lake Mackenzie and its beautiful light blue waters stretching back into deep blue. As we headed down to the shore, the intermittent rain started yet again, and didn’t look like it was going to let up any time soon. Figuring that I was going to get wet anyway, I stripped down to my bikini and made a run for the water. Better to be intentionally wet than just walking around in saturated clothing, right?

Once in, it was actually really pleasant, and the rest of the group eventually joined me as the sun began to show its face again. We spent a happy hour playing in the shallows before the dreary clouds started rolling in, signalling it was time to go. Yes, there was a bit of rain during our time in Fraser, but not enough to impede any of our activities.

With that, it was time to bid farewell to Fraser, most of my companions taking the long ride back as an opportunity to nap. We drove back to Rainbow Beach, stopping here for lunch. I opted to try Brent’s Burgers, sampling an utterly delicious Cajun Cauliflower burger with the coolest fries ever – a must if you’re ever in Rainbow Beach. We parted ways with the Brisbane car, and then took the spontaneous decision to drive back along the beach up here, where we’d had to turn off before on the way up.

This was a great decision, as we got the chance to say goodbye to the beach, and also pass right by the Coloured Sands, cliffs of reds and oranges and yellows, making a perfect backdrop for a group photo and to cement the memories of what had been my favourite weekend of my time in Australia so far.

I don’t think I can fault this tour at all – I saw the best of Fraser Island, had a very competent driver and guide, and had the added benefit of doing it with a great group of people. I can only hope that my upcoming travels around this beautiful country will be just as good!

I hope you enjoyed today’s blog – be sure to follow me on Twitter @CiarasCountry for all future travel blogs, and drop me a message in the comments below with your thoughts on Fraser Island, or indeed anywhere I must visit while I’m in Australia – thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment