Wednesday 28 February 2018

TRAVEL: My travel bucket list - by age 30!


I’ve kept a bucket list since I was 14 years old. On my list, which currently has 72 entries, there are a fair few life goals, some silly firsts 14 year old me had yet to experience (‘Buy a pretzel’ being the most glaring), and a lot of travel related goals – there’s a whole blog post to be written about that.

My first big travel bucket list item was within my sights when I began the list – ‘Visit all 7 continents,’ something which I managed to tick off that year with a fascinating trip to Antarctica (if only I’d had my blog then).

Next up was perhaps my biggest goal and one of the few with a time limit was the following: ‘Visit 50 countries by age 25.’ Why 50? It seemed like a nice, round number and one which I could conceivably see myself reaching within the next decade.

This past summer, I reached my goal at the ripe old age of 22. A fantastic round the world trip, an educational visit to Mexico and a few short trips to never-before-visited European countries meant that I got there sooner than I’d imagined, and it really did feel like an achievement.

Having a goal like this encouraged me to try and visit new countries that were close enough to home to be reached by a short and normally inexpensive plane ticket and yet still meant I could tick another place off my list. For instance, I’ve fallen in love with Eastern Europe as a part of the world with plenty of new countries to visit, and lovely ones at that (check out my travel blogs from Bulgaria and Hungary).   

So what next? 100 countries by age 50? At the moment I don’t know how likely that would be – 100 countries means no doubt visiting some pretty obscure places (which I’d be more than happy to go to!) but I knew for certain that there were some real big-hitters I wanted to get to first, without worrying myself about keeping on visiting new countries just to reach the goal. Who knows though, maybe that entry will be added to the list further down the line!

Instead, I wrote myself a list of places I want to visit by age 30 as an incentive that even though they’re pretty far away, I’ve now made a commitment to visit them come hell or high water. Hopefully I’ll be able to take you along to via the blog!

1)      Alaska
The USA will always hold a special place in my heart, and in many ways I feel like it is like visiting many countries within itself. Every state has its own personality, culture, attractions, food and even climate and there’s plenty more I’d love to visit if I have the chance. However, top of the list is Alaska and a quick Google image search should show you why. Surely one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

2)      Bolivia
For me, this doesn’t need much more explanation than Salar de Unuyi (the Salt Flats). Again, stunning pictures of this location have given me serious wanderlust and I’m a fan of places that stretch for miles and miles. Plus, I’m sure there’s plenty more than this country can offer that I can’t wait to explore.

3)      Colombia
Frequently cited as the happiest country on Earth, I’m keen to figure out its secrets and see if I can find my own happiness here. I’ve heard nothing but good things from people who have visited or live there and it’s varied landscapes, ranging from mountains to rainforests to coasts tell me there’ll be plenty to visit when I’m there.  

4)      Japan
Boy oh boy, this has long been a bucket list destination of mine. This was crystallised even more when watching Joanna Lumley’s Japan travel documentaries, helping to plot a route I’d love to follow one day. From the robot cafes of Tokyo to the hot spring bathing snow monkeys in Yudanaka Shibu Onsen and the cherry blossom, I want to see as much of this country as I can. Plus Japan has so much going for it be that in terms of its cuisine or ahead of the curve technology – something I definitely want to see firsthand!

5)      Jordan
Again, one word suffices – Petra. There are certain places which deserve to be considered Wonders of the World and I’m sure Petra qualifies. I admittedly know very little about the history or culture of this area and so I’d love to learn more by visiting.

6)      Morocco
I have a feeling Morocco will be quite unlike anywhere I’ve visited before, unlike the parts of Africa I’ve been too but very different from the European countries it sits in close proximity too. I want to visit the souks selling exotic spices and fabrics, indulge in glorious Moroccan cuisine and check out the fascinating architecture that can’t be found anywhere else.

7)      Philippines
I love the idea of the Philippines. Again it looks absolutely beautiful with its crystal clear bays and glorious beaches, but I’m keen to visit the cities, and particularly Manila too. Again, I imagine it’s very different from what I’m used to in the UK and I can’t wait to spend some time there. Plus, I follow (far too many) Filipino food travel accounts so I’m very excited to try dishes like halo-halo and ube!

I hope you enjoyed my travel bucket list – where would you love to visit in the next few years? Drop me a message in the comments below or on Twitter @CiarasCountry and be sure to check out my Instagram account @CiarasCountry where I post all the photos from my trips!


No comments:

Post a Comment